Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment help after lift

Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Double Down is on a distinguished road
Double Down's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment help after lift

Hey Guys

So I just installed a set of FOX 2.5 Factory Series Coil-overs with Remote Reservoirs and set of Total Chaos UCA's on my 12 Access Cab TRD OR. I have BFG TA's 265/7516's mounted on Method Double Standard's with 0mm offset and 4.5" backspace.

After having the truck aligned, the truck has very sluggish steering. It drives straight in the road, doesn't wander, but it is very hard to initiate tuns.

In looking at my alignment numbers, it looks like my caster is quite high: 4.2 but it was they best they said they could do. Is this what is causing my steering issue?

Should I just tell take the truck back to the alignment shop and tell them to aim for caster in the 2.4 to 2.8 range?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I forgot to add that Fox pre-set the coilovers to level the truck, so 2" lift
Attached Thumbnails
Alignment help after lift-alignment.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Your UCA adds 2 deg of caster by moving the uniball rearward. This moves the whole tire rearward as you reduce caster. I'd try to go for 3.0 per side to avoid issues in the future if you get larger tires. If you go 2.5 you will hit a cab mount post chop with a 33" tire. Oh and yes... high caster gives heavy steering... a tendency to stay on center.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Why did he leave the caster specs off? With those control arms he should have been able to get them to specs. Was the eccentric bolt maxed out?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So should I just go back and tell them to aim for 3.0 for caster? I'd love to have the option to throw 285's on at some point.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So should I just go back and tell them to aim for 3.0 for caster? I'd love to have the option to throw 285's on at some point.
Yes. I had my caster around 3.9 and realigned it closer to 2.7-3.0 range and it is much better. I would have them get your camber closer to 0 as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Your springs will settle with age. That will reduce camber. Get camber positive but as close as possible to zero. This means 0.1 to 0.2 and your toe is perfect as road force will stretch the toe negative while driving. Toe should be 0.01 to 0.02 positive.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Did you give your suspension time to settle in before the alignment?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
The alignment was done right after the parts were installed.

How long do I let it settle? A couple days? A week?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I waited 2 days. 2.5 degree caster was too little. Went back for 3+ caster a week later and it had already settled by .1 degrees on one side and .2 on the other for camber.