Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

can i add on to a leveling kit without replacing too many parts?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
mcurlcoma is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate 3rd class
mcurlcoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question can i add on to a leveling kit without replacing too many parts?

sorry for the rookie question....i have a skyjacker 2'' leveling kit on the front and was looking to add a few more inches of lift. i am new to this and dont want to spend a rediculous amount to do so. i wasnt sure if i could add suspension lift since i have the leveling kit. any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurlcoma View Post
sorry for the rookie question....i have a skyjacker 2'' leveling kit on the front and was looking to add a few more inches of lift. i am new to this and dont want to spend a rediculous amount to do so. i wasnt sure if i could add suspension lift since i have the leveling kit. any help would be appreciated.
basically...you have a spacer for the front,right?? how much lift are you looking to gain?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
yeah, was wanting two, maybe three more inches. i just dont want it putting stress on other vital parts. would the bilsteins do the trick?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
yeah, was wanting two, maybe three more inches. i just dont want it putting stress on other vital parts. would the bilsteins do the trick?
the 5100's will give you 2.5 inches of lift...........but using them with a spacer isnt a good idea. you will definitely be putting alot more stress on the whole front suspension and components. to do it right........you would need a 6 inch lift, as it seems thats basically what you are looking to accomplish. you can always ditch the spacers and go that route, or get a complete 3 inch lift kit, but im not gonna sit here and tell you that spacers with the 5100's or adding other things to spacers is safe, because it really isnt. your best bet...if you want that much lift, will be to get a decent 6 inch lift, or dont go as tall and get a good toytec 3 inch kit, with coils and aal's.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
i figured putting the 5100's would put a lot of stress on the components, so i reckon i'll go with the coils and aal. i can use the toytec with the spacer or just take it off all together? thanks for your replies,,,, im new to this and need to be schooled.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
i figured putting the 5100's would put a lot of stress on the components, so i reckon i'll go with the coils and aal. i can use the toytec with the spacer or just take it off all together? thanks for your replies,,,, im new to this and need to be schooled.
you possibly can use the spacers with the new coils, but you will still be putting alot of unneeded stress on everything, and i wouldnt recommend doing that,but go for it if thats what you are set on doing. if you have 4x4.....you will definitely need the front diff drop!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
well, i appreciate it man.... i think im gonna end up taking the front spacer off and doing it right. thanks for your help.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
well, i appreciate it man.... i think im gonna end up taking the front spacer off and doing it right. thanks for your help.
no problem man....................and i wasnt trying to rain on your parade or anything,but theres a right way and wrong way for things, and the wrong way on these trucks can end up expensive in the long run, and no sense of you dealing with that if you dont have to.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
no rain here brother... i appreciate your honesty. the mod is a want not a neccesity. if your not gonna do it right, dont do it at all.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
no rain here brother... i appreciate your honesty. the mod is a want not a neccesity. if your not gonna do it right, dont do it at all.
the way i see it also!