Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help diagnose death wobble!!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
Cowboybob is on a distinguished road
Cowboybob's Tacoma Gallery
I fought the exact same issue with my Jeep JK Unlimited. Scary as hell and no fun while at highway speeds! Replaced all of the front end suspension and steering components one by one until I had it cured. The biggest problem is, once your vehicle has had the DW a few times it accelerates the front end component wear/tear.

After literally days of research and troubleshooting, the following was the cure I found;

First things first, tell your buddy to replace the upper and lower ball joints. I ended up installing rebuildable heavy-duty ones that were expensive but well worth the $. At the same time, and most importantly, check the upper and lower bolt holes on the mounting bracket for the track bar. I would be willing to bet that the bolts holes are slightly ovaled (is that a word?) from the DW. Either that or there may be enough play between the bracket/bolt/track arm bushing(s) to exaberate the DW. The bracket/bolt/track arm bushing(s) assembly must have a very tight tolerance and the bolts must keep properly torqued. Loose or improperly torqued track bar mounting bolts are typically what starts DW in the first place. He may need to weld some grade 8 washers or machined gussets to the track arm mounts if there is any play or elongation of the bolt holes.

Remember, both of these fixes must be completed at the same time. If he just does one or the other, he will likely still have DW and will start the wear/tear issue all over again. DW is a vicious cycle, but it can be fixed.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #22
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
There are no upper and lower ball joints on this axle. However worn trunnion bearing could attribute to DW.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #23
Cowboybob is on a distinguished road
Cowboybob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
There are no upper and lower ball joints on this axle. However worn trunnion bearing could attribute to DW.
Dooh....guess I should have watched the video before posting. I was just going by my previous experience and didn't realize he had a Birfield axle set-up vs ball joints. As redneck pointed out, check the bearings, but definitely check the track arm mounting as well as all the other bushings that locate the axle.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
mt sas is on a distinguished road
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
I just fixed the same problem on my leaf sprung truck it wasn't a steering issue at all . I replaced all my spring to frame bushings after checking everything else a hundred times and it is gone. hope you guys figure it out it !
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Bump, any more advice?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
mt sas is on a distinguished road
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Bump, any more advice?
hmm ? if all the steering parts are tight I would check out link connections any movement front to back in them can cause wobble . the slop in my spring bushings was causing my wobble . it seems like it should be steering component issues but would check out axel to frame connections . good luck !
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #27
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Is this "death wobble" the same as having a bad shimmy on a solid axle front end ? (excuse my ignorance with that term )
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #28
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, check the video if you can doug, hahaha its a bit more than what I would describe as a 'shimmy'
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #29
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Yeah, check the video if you can doug, hahaha its a bit more than what I would describe as a 'shimmy'

Holy Balls !!! Yeah thats pretty bad def. something going on with the pass. side of steering/suspension Almost like a badly balanced (or no) tire/wheel but whats allowing it to do that is the problem maybe bent flange/spindle/ looks like a drag link type of steering (no pitman, is this correct ?) Drivers side looks like its behaving normally... wow...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
Purveyor of Fun

Tire was out of round all along. We put on some new 39 1/2" IROKS monday and it drives like a dream.