Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Trying to learn more about rear lifts (Questions)

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Question for any running a U-Bolt Flip Kit:

Do I have to relocate my rear shocks to use a U-Bolt Flip Kit? Judging by the below pictures, it looks like the shocks are still using the stock mounts. (Thanks to CalgaryRider for the pictures) It looks like all I would have to do to use a flip kit would be to take the stock U-Bolt system out, put in the flip kit and either put new bump stops or secure my stock bump stops back on top, correct? (How would I put the stock bumps back on by the way?)

And my rear setup for comparison:

Matt
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
for you as a second gen you do not need to relocate the rear shocks... IIRC only first gens have to relocate them
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacorunner View Post
for you as a second gen you do not need to relocate the rear shocks... IIRC only first gens have to relocate them
Can anyone else confirm this who has used, for example, the All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit?

Matt
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacorunner View Post
Not much sence in getting the U-bolts out of the way if your shocks are still going to be in the way.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #26

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Not much sense in getting the U-bolts out of the way if your shocks are still going to be in the way.
My only excuse for that would be that the shocks are tucked in closer to the wheel whereas the base for our stock U-Bolts are relatively far out from the wheel. Also, I cannot weld, I don't want to pay for relocation brackets, and don't want to pay a shop/friend to put those on.

This is mainly just for my personal knowledge, as I do not do any crazy offroading, at least not now.

Matt
Old 05-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #27
mo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud of
Navy: AD2
Name: Marc
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
My only excuse for that would be that the shocks are tucked in closer to the wheel whereas the base for our stock U-Bolts are relatively far out from the wheel. Also, I cannot weld, I don't want to pay for relocation brackets, and don't want to pay a shop/friend to put those on.

This is mainly just for my personal knowledge, as I do not do any crazy offroading, at least not now.

Matt
I'm getting the ubolt flip kit installed with the same thoughts as you can't weld and I have the all pro standard springs so I needed a longer set of u bolts in the first place to run that spring pack
Old 05-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #28
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
One thing to remember with the U-bolt flip is that you will need to relocate your shocks. (because the lower shock mount is attached to the plate your stock U-bolts attach to) I don't know if you weld or not, but it's something to keep in mind...
No. This is incorrect on a second gen. There's a ton of people running the flip kit with shocks in stock location.

To answer more of your questions: Dakars come with front bushings factory installed. Some venders will install rear bushings some won't. You can get factory rubber bushings or poly ones from wheelers or toytec. Brake lines aren't a super important issue but might not be a bad idea. You will definitely need longer shocks. Timbrens are a good choice but comparing the cost, Wheeler's superbumps would be my choice.

Just cause I'm excited: I have Dakars on their way from DSM with longer U-bolts and N182 shocks, and Wheeler's poly bushings on the way as well. I will eventually install superbumps front and rear, but I'm not touching the brake lines until I worry cause they are a bitch from what I hear to change.

Hope all this helps!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #29

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
No. This is incorrect on a second gen. There's a ton of people running the flip kit with shocks in stock location.

To answer more of your questions: Dakars come with front bushings factory installed. Some venders will install rear bushings some won't. You can get factory rubber bushings or poly ones from wheelers or toytec. Brake lines aren't a super important issue but might not be a bad idea. You will definitely need longer shocks. Timbrens are a good choice but comparing the cost, Wheeler's superbumps would be my choice.

Just cause I'm excited: I have Dakars on their way from DSM with longer U-bolts and N182 shocks, and Wheeler's poly bushings on the way as well. I will eventually install superbumps front and rear, but I'm not touching the break lines until I worry cause they are a bitch from what I hear to change.

Hope all this helps!
+1

Wow, thanks for the info! Those definitely answer pretty much all of my questions. I was thinking of doing the same as you with the brake lines, since I don't want to mess with them unless I really need to. I did hear that they allow for a little better braking, besides their other purpose of making sure the lines don't get tight when flexing. But with the choice of bump stops, shocks, and brake lines, this is why I'm researching 2-3 years ahead of when I want to buy all this stuff!

Matt
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #30
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
+1

Wow, thanks for the info! Those definitely answer pretty much all of my questions. I was thinking of doing the same as you with the brake lines, since I don't want to mess with them unless I really need to. I did hear that they allow for a little better braking, besides their other purpose of making sure the lines don't get tight when flexing. But with the choice of bump stops, shocks, and brake lines, this is why I'm researching 2-3 years ahead of when I want to buy all this stuff!

Matt
I've been searching for about a year and a half lol! I'm gonna make some custom bump stops because I can't justify the cost of them. I know some people who intall the flip kit drill and tap holes in the bolt plate and bolt down the bumps. (I haven't figured out what/how I'm gonna make my custom bumps yet).

Keep an eye on my build the next few weeks as I make the changes. I just got a new job so I won't be able to freely access a lift whenever I want to which sucks but I needed more money for mods haha