Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV Boot replacement - Axle Tulip questions...

Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
bjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brendan
bjacques's Tacoma Gallery
CV Boot replacement - Axle Tulip questions...

1) I mistakenly did not place any match marks on the shaft or tripod when I took it out of the tulip cup. Will this really be a bad thing? Any tips on getting it back together matching wear patterns, etc? Which seems like it should be possible, but I can't see how to make it work.

2) If I really just need to remove the tripod from the splines, do I really need to remove the circlip? (which is well below where the tripod seats to the splines)

3) Factory manual recommends using a brass drift to bang the tripod head off of the shaft. Any reason a 3-jaw puller wouldn't work?q
Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
bjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjacques is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brendan
bjacques's Tacoma Gallery
OK... 3-jaw puller is striking out. I've been banging on it, with a brass drift, so hard that I've bent the drift. It's moved about a millimeter (but it HAS moved).

Before I hit it with the acetylene and bang on it some more, does anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I did remove the circlip, looks like it really just needs to be removed so you can hit the bottom of the tripod squarely.

Also, still trying to figure out how to re-match the rollers into the cup / tulip...