Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New Rear Setup: Shims or no shims?

Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Dezert Shredder
TacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoShredsn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TacoShredsn
Question New Rear Setup: Shims or no shims?

^Just a shim example, not my setup.

So the good news is that I got my hands on some Deavers and soon I am going to replace my current Toytec AAL setup.

Questions: Do I still need to use the shim now that I have a leaf pack or is that just an AAL thing? Will I lose lift in the rear or will it sit the same?

(Non TSB)
Current setup: Toytec 2" AAL w/ Axle Shim
New setup: Deaver J66 1.5" Leaf Pack
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you measure your drive shaft angles with the shim at 2" you will know if you need them at 1.5" lift. Its an angle thing, not an add a leaf thing.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Dezert Shredder
TacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to beholdTacoShredsn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Well if you measure your drive shaft angles with the shim at 2" you will know if you need them at 1.5" lift. Its an angle thing, not an add a leaf thing.
Thanks for the response I appreciate it. I'll be sure to measure the drive shaft angles when I install the springs tomorrow. Then again, now that I think about it, the only way for me to run the shims with this new setup, I would have to get new center pins.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Often you can get by with a carrier bearing drop instead of shims. Using an angle finder for your set up is the only way to know for sure. Dana has the suggested angles for multi piece shafts on their website somewhere.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget to measure the shim, and get the proper spacer for the center bolt.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Dezert Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Often you can get by with a carrier bearing drop instead of shims. Using an angle finder for your set up is the only way to know for sure. Dana has the suggested angles for multi piece shafts on their website somewhere.
Only reason I was wondering is because I was thinking about using the shims I already had. I ended up just not using them and putting them up for sale with the AAL's. The Deavers ended up feeling just fine as they are with the pack only.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
THere will always be a range where you do not get vibes. As soon as you exceed it you will get them. Id advise putting them on if unsure, since you are guaranteed to not have vibes.