1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Rear Setup: Shims or no shims?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TacoShredsn, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Apr 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    TacoShredsn

TacoShredsn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 White PreRunner Supercharged M/T DCSB
    Maxtrac spindles, Raptor Style Satoshi Grille, BHLM, HID headlights, Rugged Ridge HID lights, LightForce light locks, custom fabricated off-road bumper, smoked tail lights w/LEDs, Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD double DIN w/ parking brake microbypass, 2 Kicker 12" subwoofers w/ Sony Xplod 800w amp, Moto Metal 951s, BFG AT 285s, GoRhino Dominator II steps, K&N cold air intake, blue LED interior dome light, white LED interior overhead lights, LEDGlow Blue interior lighting, LED license plate lights, front Fox 2.5 Coilover shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, rear Fox 2.0 adj resi's, Custom 3" Deaver J66 Leaf Springs, Flowmaster 40 muffler, Carbon XP windshield tint, FatMat sound deadening, back-up camera
    [​IMG]
    ^Just a shim example, not my setup.

So the good news is that I got my hands on some Deavers and soon I am going to replace my current Toytec AAL setup.

Questions: Do I still need to use the shim now that I have a leaf pack or is that just an AAL thing? Will I lose lift in the rear or will it sit the same?

(Non TSB)
    Current setup: Toytec 2" AAL w/ Axle Shim
    New setup: Deaver J66 1.5" Leaf Pack

2. Apr 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well if you measure your drive shaft angles with the shim at 2" you will know if you need them at 1.5" lift. Its an angle thing, not an add a leaf thing.

3. Apr 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    TacoShredsn

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Maxtrac spindles, Raptor Style Satoshi Grille, BHLM, HID headlights, Rugged Ridge HID lights, LightForce light locks, custom fabricated off-road bumper, smoked tail lights w/LEDs, Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD double DIN w/ parking brake microbypass, 2 Kicker 12" subwoofers w/ Sony Xplod 800w amp, Moto Metal 951s, BFG AT 285s, GoRhino Dominator II steps, K&N cold air intake, blue LED interior dome light, white LED interior overhead lights, LEDGlow Blue interior lighting, LED license plate lights, front Fox 2.5 Coilover shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, rear Fox 2.0 adj resi's, Custom 3" Deaver J66 Leaf Springs, Flowmaster 40 muffler, Carbon XP windshield tint, FatMat sound deadening, back-up camera
    Thanks for the response I appreciate it. I'll be sure to measure the drive shaft angles when I install the springs tomorrow. Then again, now that I think about it, the only way for me to run the shims with this new setup, I would have to get new center pins.

4. Apr 19, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Often you can get by with a carrier bearing drop instead of shims. Using an angle finder for your set up is the only way to know for sure. Dana has the suggested angles for multi piece shafts on their website somewhere.

5. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Don't forget to measure the shim, and get the proper spacer for the center bolt.

6. Apr 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM
    TacoShredsn

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Only reason I was wondering is because I was thinking about using the shims I already had. I ended up just not using them and putting them up for sale with the AAL's. The Deavers ended up feeling just fine as they are with the pack only.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    THere will always be a range where you do not get vibes. As soon as you exceed it you will get them. Id advise putting them on if unsure, since you are guaranteed to not have vibes.

Products Discussed in

To Top