Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Anyone have experience with both 5100's and Coilovers?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have experience with both 5100's and Coilovers?

Anybody go from 5100's to coilovers? How much of a difference did it make? Looking for a little more descriptive comparison other than "the ride is great".

Any specifics on how the trucks ride and handling changed both on the street and off road? Not talking about long travel but something like the Icon stage one kit.

I plan to use my truck mostly on-road, wondering if street performance is enhanced and worth the extra cost.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Handling is gonna improve with the Icons for a few reasons.

1. Bigger Dia. shocks. Going up to the 2.5" shock is gonna dampen much better and control the front end with much better valving, and be there for you when you do head off-road and those big hits.

2. The coils, This is where the on-road ride is gonna come from. Your going for a static rate stock coil to a progressive rate coil. It will help with stability, ride, and again, the off-road use.

3. Tune-ability, To change your ride height with the Bilstein's you have to remove the whole shock, compress the spring, change the perch, put it all back on. With the C/O's, $25 spanner wrench, droop the truck out, turn the coil up or down, done.

I can get you TW pricing for either way you go as well. Just shoot me a PM
Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Technically 5100's are coilovers... I imagine most higher end coilovers will perform better than 5100's due to being higher quality. 5100's are entry level components really.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm just trying to get a feel for the difference and I know it's something thats probably not easy to quantify/describe.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post
Yeah, I'm just trying to get a feel for the difference and I know it's something thats probably not easy to quantify/describe.
id look around here for someone local to you if possible and go for a ride.........thats the best bet for knowing how the ride will feel to YOU instead of the opinion of someone else.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I've got Toytec coilovers with Tundra 5100s and I love them. Good ride quality, good flex (11 inches of wheel travel) and inexpensive. I upgraded the shocks first and got the coilovers a few months later. It was easy on the pocketbook that way.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100 adjustables up front right now and just purchased icon coil overs. should be here in 2-3 weeks. I'll let ya know how much of a difference it makes!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Red - I put dbags in their place
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
The main difference is ride quality and the ability to valve the c/o's. I've ran 5100s, 885s, 886s w/ nitro shocks and kings, if you are a crawler or use it on the weekends at a park or what not I don't see the point in purchasing the c/o's over a good OME setup.