Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need some more height on the 2011 Tacoma SR5.. Advice?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
barcapopo is on a distinguished road
barcapopo's Tacoma Gallery
Need some more height on the 2011 Tacoma SR5.. Advice?

Hey guys.. I have a 2011 Tacoma Sr5, I'm looking to get a little more height on my truck. Does not feel like it has the right truck height. Thinking of getting a 3" lift. It looks like right now my front end is lower than the back, id like to get it evened out. I'm not familiar with what would be the best options, looking for some suggestions on what to get. I won't be doing any off roading, it's simply for asthetics. Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug or 6?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
spacers will be your cheapest option if you're not gonna be offroading
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
6 Lug
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstien 5100 shocks from downsouth motorsports......still maintain decent ride, lift up to 2.5" safer than spacers.

Talk to Sonny or Micah
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Adjustable shocks?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcapopo View Post
Adjustable shocks?
They have settings for 0.85" 1.75" 2.5" or zero lift.

U gotta have them dissasembled to raise/lower them tho.....they are not on the fly adjustable like the more expensive coilovers, but they do the job for some people just fine.....I can't complain with eibach coils and 5100s
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Ya I would just get the height I like and leave them be. So what would I need to get this done? Just 4 5100's? Sorry my ignorance, not familiar with suspensions etc.. Is it pretty labour intensive to get installed?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #9

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya I would just get the height I like and leave them be. So what would I need to get this done? Just 4 5100's? Sorry my ignorance, not familiar with suspensions etc.. Is it pretty labour intensive to get installed?
2 5100s are all that's "needed"

The fronts provide lift, the rears don't lift but provide a good compliment to the fronts ride.

Don't forget to get an alignment
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
by lifting the fronts the backs will raise slightly?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
If I have the fronts at 2.5" lift would front look higher than back? If so, what would be option for backs?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Vehicle also came stock with 16" rims. Would there be clerance to go to larger tires rims?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
MY 2 cents... Don't get too caught up on looks. The 5100's are a good entry level shock but don't go max, I would go 1.5" and run it like that. You might have a slight ass-high look, but what is more important? maintain-ability and ride or looks? If you keep them at 1.5," the spring rate won't change too much, and the truck will still ride great. You will also keep your axels at a reasonable angle, keeping the wear and tear factor down. I know the 2nd gens have improved axel angles and don't require the diff drop, but that doesn't mean to just crank um up. Then if you want to go higher, just get bigger tires and gain a few inches that way. There is a tone of info in the 2nd gen sticky section on what tires and rims fit, get the biggest ones you are happy with. Doing the body mount chop is easy, and will be cheap for any shop to do, BAMF makes a good bracket for that. Then spend your time and money on fun mods!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PELLEY View Post
MY 2 cents... Don't get too caught up on looks. The 5100's are a good entry level shock but don't go max, I would go 1.5" and run it like that. You might have a slight ass-high look, but what is more important? maintain-ability and ride or looks? If you keep them at 1.5," the spring rate won't change too much, and the truck will still ride great. You will also keep your axels at a reasonable angle, keeping the wear and tear factor down. I know the 2nd gens have improved axel angles and don't require the diff drop, but that doesn't mean to just crank um up. Then if you want to go higher, just get bigger tires and gain a few inches that way. There is a tone of info in the 2nd gen sticky section on what tires and rims fit, get the biggest ones you are happy with. Doing the body mount chop is easy, and will be cheap for any shop to do, BAMF makes a good bracket for that. Then spend your time and money on fun mods!!!
x2 But I would also recommend replacing the rear shocks w bilsteins. The ride will be much better if you do especially since you would be changing out the fronts
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I have the fronts at 2.5" lift would front look higher than back? If so, what would be option for backs?
Quote:
Vehicle also came stock with 16" rims. Would there be clerance to go to larger tires rims?
2011 AC with 5100s all around w/ front set at 1.75" using stock coils and with the TSB (4-leaf) springs in the rear. I was about 1/4" higher in the back until the leafs settled and now I'm slightly (1/4~) higher in the front. These are 17" rims with 32" tires and I get light rubbing on the mud flaps at full crank. This is a heavy cap (~225lbs) so I would probably still be a bit higher in the rear if I was running topless.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
So im thinking this..

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-11...le-shocks.html
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. They definitely improved the ride by putting them all the way around too.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
x2 But I would also recommend replacing the rear shocks w bilsteins. The ride will be much better if you do especially since you would be changing out the fronts
I agree with this as well!!