Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
TacoSteve612 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
TacoSteve612's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone else experienced this?

I ordered 1.5 inch steel rear lift blocks and U bolts from fatbobsgarage and just opened the box to find aluminum blocks instead. The blocks are also angled slightly being1 1/2 inches on one side and 1 3/16 on the other side. Anyone buy from this site before and have this happen? The dealership I bought my truck from recommended this site becuz apparently that's where they buy lift kits from when customers want a lift. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Those sound like badass blocks.. they are angled to rid vibes is my only guess..
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

The reason y got blocks instead of an aal is becuz every site says 1.5-2 inch lift. I have 2 inch blocks up front and wanted an exact number lol so I got 1.5 inch blocks for the rear. How much of a lift did those aal get u?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSteve612 View Post
The reason y got blocks instead of an aal is becuz every site says 1.5-2 inch lift. I have 2 inch blocks up front and wanted an exact number lol so I got 1.5 inch blocks for the rear. How much of a lift did those aal get u?
I got roughly about 2" of lift in the rear unloaded. The benefit of a leaf over block is that your load capabilities will increase. Say you fill your bed up with a good amount of weight with a block, you will bottom out, where as with a leaf, you will have more travel.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I don't intend to load up the bed with heavy items. I mainly haul light items and it took me a while to finally decide on a block instead of a leaf. I wanted the steel block but they sent an aluminum block instead...I might just say screw it and just use the ones they sent
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
The block is angled slightly to keep your axle at the correct angle. It should be angling slightly up towards your xfer case.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I think the aluminum blocks are better. Won't rust and probably cost more to make.

If you want to use blocks and not a AAL then use the ones you got. Nothing wrong with an aluminum block plus the angle will help drive line vibrations and may increase the life of your u-joints.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Sorry for such a late reply. Thanks for ur input guys its appreciated! I'm not too impressed with the rear blocks :/ they just cause unwanted stress on the leaf springs and now I really wanna take them out and put a 2 inch AAL in there lol. I didn't wanna mess with unbolting the leafs while only using jack stands but I guess its just gonna be the best way to go...should have listened to everyone lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry for such a late reply. Thanks for ur input guys its appreciated! I'm not too impressed with the rear blocks :/ they just cause unwanted stress on the leaf springs and now I really wanna take them out and put a 2 inch AAL in there lol. I didn't wanna mess with unbolting the leafs while only using jack stands but I guess its just gonna be the best way to go...should have listened to everyone lol.
What kind of problem are you having with the blocks? There really should be no issues if installed correctly.

As far as an add-a-leaf goes, there is no need to remove the whole leaf pack from the vehicle. Just need to jack it up and support the frame with jackstands.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another problem many people experience with blocks is axle wrap... won't get that with aal's.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Another problem many people experience with blocks is axle wrap... won't get that with aal's.
False.... I have a Toytec aal and i get axle wrap.... but im running URD Stage 3
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I still have my AAL's for sale if you are interested
Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #14

Texoma, how much do u want for ur aal? And are they 2 inch lift asl? The only issue I'm having is since the leafs are sitting directly on the blocks, the leafs are being pushed against at the center and are bowing instead of being arched like they were without any lift. I don't like seeing that becuz I figure they will weaken or maybe even break under stress with a load
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
False.... I have a Toytec aal and i get axle wrap.... but im running URD Stage 3
I'm guessing the axle warp is due to the blocks not being perfectly center as if the leafs were just sitting on the axle. Yet another reason y I want aal. When I got my alignment done they told me my axle was shifted but not much
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm guessing the axle warp is due to the blocks not being perfectly center as if the leafs were just sitting on the axle. Yet another reason y I want aal. When I got my alignment done they told me my axle was shifted but not much
You can get axle wrap from any lifted vehicle due to the changed driveshaft/axle angle, increased ride height, bigger tires, or increased amount of power being put out. If you want to stop this, get traction bars! They have hiem joints on both ends and bolt on your axle and up to the frame allowing for movement but not axle wrap!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #17

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Texoma, how much do u want for ur aal? And are they 2 inch lift asl? The only issue I'm having is since the leafs are sitting directly on the blocks, the leafs are being pushed against at the center and are bowing instead of being arched like they were without any lift. I don't like seeing that becuz I figure they will weaken or maybe even break under stress with a load
I have them listed in my sale thread below for $45 plus shipping. If we can get this worked out right, I am heading to Chesapeake,VA on Friday and maybe able to meet you. And yes they are 2" and the link to where I originally bought them is in my sale thread as well.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Also should note, there was a major recall on tacoma springs for busting in half. Not sure what years it was exactly. Might be worth while to replace the entire pack.
I have an 02 and haven't had any issuers my cousin has a 2000 and he has had the second to bottom leaf on both packs break right in half!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm confused. A proper lift block will be the exact same shape width and length of your axle's spring mount. If it is shifted fore/aft its an axle relocation plate. This would not be a big deal because those only move the axle a fraction of an inch rearward but are still the same shape. If you have aluminum blocks that are also relocation plates and integrated blocks with integrated shims that is very impressive and I am jealous.