1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Skunkman, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Skunkman

Skunkman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    I have looked and can't find the answer anywhere,maybe someone here can help. I have a set of 5100's a guy ran for a week and decided he wanted more lift. I believe the shop that installed them used an impact on the top retaining nut on the front struts,slightly messing up the threads. I do not have the top retaining nut to check the thread size, and wanted to run a die over it for good measure before assembling them, just in case they are damaged. Does anyone know what size that nut is, I believe it to be a 14-2.00 but don't want to take a chance and mess these up any further,thanks for any help.

2. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    A large majority of shocks use 3/8x24

3. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure if they would be metric or SAE, figured better to ask first before doing any more harm, Thank you

4. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Do you have a thread gauge?

5. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    I don't,but tried matching the thread to numerous bolts at the hardware store today,both metric, and standard. The threads are just barely rounded enough that it makes it hard to be confident I have the correct thread size. If it wasn't such a pricey part, I would have run one of the nuts I suspected was correct down the threads,but want to make absolutely sure of the size before attempting it.

6. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Best way to be sure is with a thread gauge. Also, I think they are the same size as the stock shock threads, maybe use that as a reference? I will see if I can remember to get a measurement tomorrow from mine if you haven't done it already.

7. Apr 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Thanks for the help. I thought it would be fairly easy to locate a couple of correct size nuts for these,as I believe they are the same as on the stock ones also. I hit 3 large local auto parts stores today, and not one of them could find me a nut for a Tacoma shock...time for beer, I've had enough,Thanks again for the help.

8. Apr 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    Front struts: 1/2 NF 20

Got mine in the garage and used a thread gauge

9. Apr 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Thanks Ron, thats the one that was close also when I tried them,actually threaded on but was slightly loose, not good. I sure hope they didn't round them off too bad to use,I'll run a die over them and try to clean them up tomorrow. Thanks for checking the thread size,I know where to start at in the morning, Albert

10. Apr 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    The nut is loose on mine aswell... they are brand new I found that kind of weird.

11. Apr 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If you guys are talking about the center nut the outside nut size is a 19mm pretty sure (I know that doesn't address thread size/pitch) but you might be able to chase the thread with the other "good" nut I assume you have if it isn't too fucked up thread wise & they are only supposed to be like 20-25ftlbs IIRC (may not even be that much)

12. Apr 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    Skunkman

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    Alright, got it squared away. Here is the correct information and size, at least for the set of front 5100's I have. The size nut is metric 12 - 1.25 and it fits perfectly. I tried the 1/2 -20 NF and it is extremely close,but loose, and figured these had to be metric sized. Thanks to everyone that helped with all the info. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

13. Oct 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    oceanslide

oceanslide Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab
    5100s, OME 885
    sorry for being back an old thead but this info saved me so much hassle! Spent the whole afternoon yesterday going to stores trying to match up the sizes and finally found this post late last night. This size nut worked perfect.

Products Discussed in

To Top