Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 question

Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 question

I have looked and can't find the answer anywhere,maybe someone here can help. I have a set of 5100's a guy ran for a week and decided he wanted more lift. I believe the shop that installed them used an impact on the top retaining nut on the front struts,slightly messing up the threads. I do not have the top retaining nut to check the thread size, and wanted to run a die over it for good measure before assembling them, just in case they are damaged. Does anyone know what size that nut is, I believe it to be a 14-2.00 but don't want to take a chance and mess these up any further,thanks for any help.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
I don't,but tried matching the thread to numerous bolts at the hardware store today,both metric, and standard. The threads are just barely rounded enough that it makes it hard to be confident I have the correct thread size. If it wasn't such a pricey part, I would have run one of the nuts I suspected was correct down the threads,but want to make absolutely sure of the size before attempting it.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Army:
Thanks for the help. I thought it would be fairly easy to locate a couple of correct size nuts for these,as I believe they are the same as on the stock ones also. I hit 3 large local auto parts stores today, and not one of them could find me a nut for a Tacoma shock...time for beer, I've had enough,Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Front struts: 1/2 NF 20

Got mine in the garage and used a thread gauge
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Army:
Thanks Ron, thats the one that was close also when I tried them,actually threaded on but was slightly loose, not good. I sure hope they didn't round them off too bad to use,I'll run a die over them and try to clean them up tomorrow. Thanks for checking the thread size,I know where to start at in the morning, Albert
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
The nut is loose on mine aswell... they are brand new I found that kind of weird.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
If you guys are talking about the center nut the outside nut size is a 19mm pretty sure (I know that doesn't address thread size/pitch) but you might be able to chase the thread with the other "good" nut I assume you have if it isn't too fucked up thread wise & they are only supposed to be like 20-25ftlbs IIRC (may not even be that much)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #12

Army:
Alright, got it squared away. Here is the correct information and size, at least for the set of front 5100's I have. The size nut is metric 12 - 1.25 and it fits perfectly. I tried the 1/2 -20 NF and it is extremely close,but loose, and figured these had to be metric sized. Thanks to everyone that helped with all the info. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
oceanslide is just really niceoceanslide is just really niceoceanslide is just really niceoceanslide is just really nice

Name: Erik
oceanslide's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkman View Post
The size nut is metric 12 - 1.25 and it fits perfectly.
sorry for being back an old thead but this info saved me so much hassle! Spent the whole afternoon yesterday going to stores trying to match up the sizes and finally found this post late last night. This size nut worked perfect.