Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

King 2.5 700lb Preload Adjust

Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Easy Does It
Whitehall is on a distinguished road

Whitehall's Tacoma Gallery
King 2.5 700lb Preload Adjust

I'm having trouble adding preload to this shock. I just want about 1/2" of thread showing. Based on others' reports with similar truck setups, that should get me in the 2.5" lift zone.

I have the shock lower secured via a bar thru the lower eyelet (this is what King docs say to do). I loosened the pinch bolt on the adjust collar. When I use the King tool to tighten the upper collar, the whole shock upper turns rather than the collar screwing down onto the threads.

Has anyone experienced this? I can get just the collar to turn on the threads a small bit if I struggle to hold the upper shock body still while turning the collar. But I can only get a fraction of a turn before everything starts spinning. I would need a second vice. Does this sound about right or is something off?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Easy Does It
Whitehall is on a distinguished road

Whitehall's Tacoma Gallery
Monday bump.
I'd love to hear your experience of adding preload to this shock, whether you had problems or not. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Hold the top with a bar in between the mounting bolts. yes put the bolts in a few threads to achieve this.