Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

best way to do small lift on tacoma

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
reggie1234 is on a distinguished road
reggie1234's Tacoma Gallery
best way to do small lift on tacoma

either getting 2013 tacoma sport 4 door with long bed or 2014 when they come out. and i want to do a mild lift/ leveling kit, not sure what are good ways to do it, was thinking of the bilstein 5100 adjustables. i would want enough room for 33 inch tires or so. truck is used for everyday driving and on the beach with surfboards. trading in my fj cruiser which was great.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the billies 5100's adjustables you can have the 33's tires installed. Good luck man.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
thanks will i have to change or add anything else with the bilstein 5100 adjustables. are there other systems that i should check out
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah theres plenty of lifts you can check here on different threads buts its all depends on what height you looking for, i have my billies set at 1.75 on the front with the ICON 3 leaf pack add on (1.5 inch) which adds to the back leaf springs without TSB.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
thanks for the reply. You didn't want to lift to 2.5 on the front
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
ZoMbiE aLeRt

I had the choice but i didnt change my coils i left them stock and it rides good. Also i heard some of the guys here once you go 2.5 lift would also need to replace the UCA's (Upper Control Arms) so didnt want to take the risk. Im happy with my lift , its my daily driver and for off-roading well the most would do its when i go camping or hiking.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
ScTuna is on a distinguished road

ScTuna's Tacoma Gallery
If you like warranty get the Baja series Tacoma.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
33s probably aren't going to fit with 1.5" of lift unless a lot of trimming is done. 33s rub on 2.5"-3" lifted tacomas. 32s would probably be a better choice. I'd go with some 265/75/16 if you have a 16" rim or I believe 265/70/17 for a 17" rim.

Glad you are thinking about 5100s to gain lift instead of coil spacers
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersx View Post
Yeah theres plenty of lifts you can check here on different threads buts its all depends on what height you looking for, i have my billies set at 1.75 on the front with the ICON 3 leaf pack add on (1.5 inch) which adds to the back leaf springs without TSB.
I have this same setup and it's a smooth ride. Kept my factory coils and have the non-tsb leaf packs.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
zboy is a jewel in the roughzboy is a jewel in the roughzboy is a jewel in the rough

zboy's Tacoma Gallery
On my 2012 got 5100 all around set at 2.50 with 1.50 aal going to burn out the stock 265 tires and get 285 after
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
zboy did u have to change uca's when at 2.5 and will 285 fit. also if you put the bilsteins in rear as well doesnt that add up to 1 inch lift instead of aal
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Rear bilsteins dont add lift. Add a leaf, blocks or a new leaf pack will lift the rear end. UCAs are recomended for 2.5" or more to help get alignment in spec. Expect to trim with 285s, maybe even the cab mount chop. You need wheel spacers to run 285s on stock wheels or aftermarket wheels with 0 to -12 offset
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
A standard lift of 0-3" will not effect what tires fit or do not fit. The exact same trimming needs to be done to a stock Tacoma as one with a lift. THe lift only changes how much compression of the suspension causes the same rubbing.

33" tires will fit on no lift, 1.5" lift, and 3" lift exactly the same and all require the same trimming to get the 33" tires to fit.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
zboy is a jewel in the roughzboy is a jewel in the roughzboy is a jewel in the rough

zboy's Tacoma Gallery
4 wheel parts did the work no UCAs alignment good (4) 5100 (2) AAL installed with alignment & labor $800.00
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
A standard lift of 0-3" will not effect what tires fit or do not fit. The exact same trimming needs to be done to a stock Tacoma as one with a lift. THe lift only changes how much compression of the suspension causes the same rubbing.

33" tires will fit on no lift, 1.5" lift, and 3" lift exactly the same and all require the same trimming to get the 33" tires to fit.
It seems like this has been an ongoing thing. I run 285/75/16 KM2's on billies @ 2.5" & progressive AAL on the rear with no issues. Like I have said many times before, this truck see's 90% pavement with very limited wheeling. I have had zero rubbing issues. I do agree with your statement on the lift only changing how much more compression is required to get back to the point that the tire will rub when wheeling these trucks. But telling people that don't wheel their trucks that 33's will rub and require trimming regardless of their setups is not really true. Sorry to clog this thread OP.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
It seems like this has been an ongoing thing. I run 285/75/16 KM2's on billies @ 2.5" & progressive AAL on the rear with no issues. Like I have said many times before, this truck see's 90% pavement with very limited wheeling. I have had zero rubbing issues. I do agree with your statement on the lift only changing how much more compression is required to get back to the point that the tire will rub when wheeling these trucks. But telling people that don't wheel their trucks that 33's will rub and require trimming regardless of their setups is not really true. Sorry to clog this thread OP.
I rub the same off-road as on. I turn into a steep driveway entrance at speed and compress the suspension to the point of rubbing. I hit undulating pavement at speed and get rubbing. The vast majority of my rubbing testing was done on pavement and was done pulling into parking lots with some speed. This causes the same rubbing in the same areas as offroading. No amount of rubbing should be accepted on or off road. This concept of lift clearing tires I heard here caused me to almost tear off my front bumper while onroad, tear off my rear fender off road and damaged my tires on road. I stand by my statement. On road you have greater wheel speeds that can result on more damage. It is unethical to put people's property at risk by repeating the lie that lifts make room for larger tires.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
First off, I am not doing anything "unethical" or "repeating lies" by telling people of my exact setup and how it works for me. All I have done in any previous post is let people know that I do not have any rubbing issues on-road or the minimal off-road use that this truck sees. You may want to go back and look at some older posts. I f you do in fact find one that I state "lifts make room for larger tires" I will concede. The offer still stands, if at any point in time you are near Boone, North Carolina you can come see the truck for yourself. If you are within a reasonable distance of Boone at any time I'll even come meet you to give you a chance to critique my truck.
If you care to take this to PM's as to not clog another members thread, feel free to do so.
Once again, sorry to clog your thread with this OP.