Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bad Suspension or Twisted Frame??

Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
DUCKSHOT is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
DUCKSHOT's Tacoma Gallery
Bad Suspension or Twisted Frame??

01 Tacoma stock, original suspension and has been like this since I bought it 7 years ago. What is the cause to this? Any ideas?
Putting an OME lift with new leaf packs hopefully soon. If it doesn't fix the problem I'd rather not spend the money. Suspension is shot so I have to replace it either way.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Post pics from underneath the truck
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Post pics from underneath the truck
Anything specific I need to get in the shot or any angles I should be at?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Coast Guard:

Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
From the pics, looks to be spring issues. Without having detailed frame pics or measurements to look over, go with springs since you said you already plan on doing them. Check it out after and keep us updated.

And nice ass-mouth. Chit must be custom, no?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
dayam.. those springs are pretty flat.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it could be the springs. There is less distance between the bumpstomp and the frame on the passenger side compared to the drivers side. But, from the original picture the box is off by quite a bit. Almost makes me think box mount. Also do you hear any clunks while going down the road while hitting bumps? A picture of the rear shackles and rear box mount where it attaches to the frame at the very rear would be helpful.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at your shackles. One of your shackles could be locked up and not moving freely. Compare both shackles and the positions they are sitting in. They should both look about the same an in the same position on both sides. The shackle bolts and the sleeves inside will often rust together and they can't flex. You may want to jack up the rear end and 'watch' the shackles move up/down as the suspension moves.

Chances are - when you change your leaf springs, I'm willing to bet you'll have to cut the shackle bolts just to free the shackles. Been there done that...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Could be the frame. Mine looked like that too and I could never get the alignment right, took it to the body shop and had it put on frame machine. Got bad news that day!!! Mine was bent all over the place. Called my insurance and they bought the truck because the frame guy wasn't sure if he could get it completely straight
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Coast Guard:
So here is a pic of the shackles. They look the same ro me. Should I get new ones when I redo the suspension?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Coast Guard:
Come on guys I need some help here please.
If this is just a suspension issue then I'll get the 3" OME lift I want. If it's a twisted frame then I'm gunna keep it stock.
Need to replace the suspension ASAP.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
I responded the other day but for whatever reason my post didn't show up. I think it's that passenger side leaf spring. The shackle looks like it's pushed back further than the drivers side. Same principle as a leaf flexing, it becomes flat(longer) and pushes the shackle back. In your case the spring looks worn out(more flat) and is pushing the shackle back. I don't think it's a case of a mount being rusted because the underneath of your truck looks pretty decent.

The only way to find out if you have a twisted frame is to obtain the OEM specifications for the frame(the factory service manual should have that) and get underneath the truck and measure. It will list specific spots on the frame and what the distance should be. How does the truck drive? Pretty straight or does it pull?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Coast Guard:
I'm thinking it's the shackle and the spring. Smaller gap on the passenger side comapred to driver side.
The truck drives straight and never had any issues with alignment.
Now to compile a list of parts I need for the lift!!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKSHOT View Post
If this is just a suspension issue then I'll get the 3" OME lift I want. If it's a twisted frame then I'm gunna keep it stock.

Calm down man !!.... Looking at the rear its pretty obvious that your springs need help, what I find strange is that its the pass. side thats drooped out & not the dr. side, hmm interesting, anyway your pass. spring is more fatigued, but both surely have linear warping you can see it, your choices are to rebuild it, with either a standard AAL (probably short term fix) custom build your springs (permanent fix) or name brand springs (permanent fix) most will tell you to just fork out the $$$$$$$$ for new set. which ever way you go you need to educate yourself so you can make an informed choice to fit your needs
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm thinking it's the shackle and the spring. Smaller gap on the passenger side comapred to driver side.
The truck drives straight and never had any issues with alignment.
Now to compile a list of parts I need for the lift!!
My money is down on that let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
yup, spring issue. Mine were that flat at 160k when I replaced them.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how long has it been like that? and have you done anything worthy of twisting the frame? if it's just lived it's life as a street truck and you havnt been in any major accident, it's 99% the suspension.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Coast Guard:
I bought the truck in 06 I think and no accidents with me behind the wheel. I was in an accident before but don't know what.
Oh yeah, I'm Going with an OME 3" lift w/Dakar leaf pack.