1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Not lifting, but beefing it for towing?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RV7Garage, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage [OP] R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    I want to know if I'm on the right track, here. I've got a set of Firestone Ride-Rite airbags ordered, and I'm thinking about Bilstein 5100's for the front. Not looking to lift, just want to beef things up a bit to make this a better tow vehicle. Any opinions? Do I even "need" to upgrade the front struts?

2012 DCSB O/R with tow pkg, and 3 weak-ass leaf springs.

--also, is $180 shipped a good price for 2 Billies? Thanks again--

2. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i see no need to change the front struts when you are not looking to lift and if they are in good condition. i do suggest that you load up the bed of your truck with some weight and use the proper wording which i think is 'harsh ride' or something like that and have the dealer to the leaf spring tsb to get yourself a 4 leaf pack. basically show them it bottoms out with very little weight, or does this not occur at all now due to your airbags? you will end up with a bit of rake, but also springs that work better for you. if you don't like the rake then pick up the billies and set them to .85 and call it good. ppl seem to like the way the billies ride, i've got OME so no personal experience. that's my 2 cents.

3. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    I've been considering the ride-rites as an addition to my rear suspension setup. I do routinely carry 2-3 guys with gear tools etc with a dirt bike in the bed and a 6'x10' trailer with two bikes on it. I think the airbags would be a pretty good setup. Also run 5100's and love them. A little firmer than stock, and to me a better feel in general. It seems like you are on the right track, and $180 seems like a pretty good deal. I say go for it.

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    My Canadian Tacoma came with a 4 leaf leaf pack and still bottomed out really easy when I was light-moderately loaded. Tacoma leaf springs really do blow.

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  6. Apr 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    x2

Although if OP can get it done for free from the dealer, it is a start. Especially if this is on a budget. It still must be better than 3-leaf, no?

Wheeler's HD pack seems like the best solution, but not cheap.

7. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage [OP] R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Thanks for the input guys.

I wish it were as simple as going to the dealer and getting the TSB done, but there is no TSB for the 2012's as far as I know.

I think I will go ahead and get the Bilsteins; seems pretty cheap and they'll be better than factory- plus no rake. Man, these trucks are great but the factory specs seem a little ...optimistic, I guess.

8. Apr 27, 2013 at 2:34 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top