Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Newbie with Suspension Question

Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
simadownow6988 is on a distinguished road
simadownow6988's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie with Suspension Question

Hey guys! My name is Jon and Im a proud owner of a 2013 Tacoma DC TRD Off road.
I am planning on lifting my Tacoma and had a question. I am wanting to run a 33 (285/65/18) with a 18" wheel and all of my research points me toward a 3" in front and 1-2" in back. The only thing I cant understand is what kind of lift will suit my needs. My truck will mostly be on road with very minor off roading if any. I do want the best ride possible though since I drive long distances at times.
Do I go with a spacer kit or a full coilover kit? It seems like theres tons of options out there. I want something dependable and that will last a long time. I read something about new upper control arms. Do I need them?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jon
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Jon,
You've come to the right place--lots of experienced people here. I personally decided to go with a set up from Icon as opposed to a spacer--mostly because I don't like the thought of pre loading my suspension components. Super Duty HQ or Downsouth Motorsports have good people who can guide you to a setup that will meet your wants too. Welcome and post some truck pics!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
simadownow6988 is on a distinguished road
simadownow6988's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply.
I looked up the Icon lift and was blown away by the prices. Its way more than I can afford. I was looking at the bilstein with blocks option, but dont know much about them. Im on a moderate budget.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
cheaper adjustable coilover suspension that is popular is the Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit (ULK) with an add-a-leaf (AAL) in the rear.

Another option is the OME lift kit. There's lots of information on this site regarding this information, and TONS of pics to get an idea.

Also, use the tire calculator to see how the overall diameter of your setup compares to more common 16" and 17" sizes.