1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Caster at 5 Deg Possible?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by KenLyns, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Took my truck in for re-alignment at the dealer, in attempt to get greater caster and maximize tire clearance. According to their machine, though, the caster is already at 5.3 / 5.0 deg LH/RH. Camber is at 0.3 / 0.1 deg. Toe is at 0.05 deg

I have Icons set at 2.5" and All-Pro UCAs. Are aftermarket UCAs THAT effective in providing caster, or is the dealer's alignment rig miscalculating?

2. Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    MEMO CAMPOS

MEMO CAMPOS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER
    TC Upper Arms, ICON coilovers, Camburg spindles, AP standard leaf packs, ICON Resi.'s, AFE intake, Magnaflow Magnapack, Defiant Light Bar with PIAA 580's, 6K HID's top and bottom
    I was able to achieve 5* of caster! Im running icons with TC uca's and camburg spindles. I was also confused because everybody struggles to get to 3* and I'm 5*. My alignment guy told me it all depends on the technicians skill level when it comes to suspension geometry and not just depend on a computer.

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    How much caster do your UCA add?

4. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's a lot of caster... Seems if you were truely at 5 degrees, it would not corner worth a damn and would constantly fight you to straighten out.

5. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    When I had my old setup I had 4.5* caster. I need to get another alignment, just changed coils last friday. I thought it handled just fine. I was told I would have ''bump-steer'' but never felt uncomfortable. I also haul a 22' travel trailer!

6. Apr 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    That's not necessarily true. In my Formula SAE days, I designed in about 6 deg of caster, with an unpowered, fast-ratio steering rack. Steering effort was manageable. On a slow-ratio production vehicle rack with power steering, I don't think 5 deg would feel that different from 3 deg.

7. Apr 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Understood, with power steering, it wouldn't feel a lot different as in, steering effort wouldn't be increased much but with that much caster would make the truck awesome in a straight line and not want to go around a corner (unless you increase the camber also which you may have done in your SAE days)

8. Apr 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    MEMO CAMPOS

MEMO CAMPOS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER
    TC Upper Arms, ICON coilovers, Camburg spindles, AP standard leaf packs, ICON Resi.'s, AFE intake, Magnaflow Magnapack, Defiant Light Bar with PIAA 580's, 6K HID's top and bottom
    Truck handles better than it ever did stock! I believe the uca adds a couple of degrees of caster and the cam at the lca can achieve up to 3 degrees...hence my 5* of caster. The key is whether your technician can dig it out or not...

Products Discussed in

To Top