LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Caster at 5 Deg Possible?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Caster at 5 Deg Possible?

Took my truck in for re-alignment at the dealer, in attempt to get greater caster and maximize tire clearance. According to their machine, though, the caster is already at 5.3 / 5.0 deg LH/RH. Camber is at 0.3 / 0.1 deg. Toe is at 0.05 deg

I have Icons set at 2.5" and All-Pro UCAs. Are aftermarket UCAs THAT effective in providing caster, or is the dealer's alignment rig miscalculating?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
I was able to achieve 5* of caster! Im running icons with TC uca's and camburg spindles. I was also confused because everybody struggles to get to 3* and I'm 5*. My alignment guy told me it all depends on the technicians skill level when it comes to suspension geometry and not just depend on a computer.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
How much caster do your UCA add?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That's a lot of caster... Seems if you were truely at 5 degrees, it would not corner worth a damn and would constantly fight you to straighten out.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my old setup I had 4.5* caster. I need to get another alignment, just changed coils last friday. I thought it handled just fine. I was told I would have ''bump-steer'' but never felt uncomfortable. I also haul a 22' travel trailer!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That's a lot of caster... Seems if you were truely at 5 degrees, it would not corner worth a damn and would constantly fight you to straighten out.
That's not necessarily true. In my Formula SAE days, I designed in about 6 deg of caster, with an unpowered, fast-ratio steering rack. Steering effort was manageable. On a slow-ratio production vehicle rack with power steering, I don't think 5 deg would feel that different from 3 deg.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
That's not necessarily true. In my Formula SAE days, I designed in about 6 deg of caster, with an unpowered, fast-ratio steering rack. Steering effort was manageable. On a slow-ratio production vehicle rack with power steering, I don't think 5 deg would feel that different from 3 deg.
Understood, with power steering, it wouldn't feel a lot different as in, steering effort wouldn't be increased much but with that much caster would make the truck awesome in a straight line and not want to go around a corner (unless you increase the camber also which you may have done in your SAE days)
Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Truck handles better than it ever did stock! I believe the uca adds a couple of degrees of caster and the cam at the lca can achieve up to 3 degrees...hence my 5* of caster. The key is whether your technician can dig it out or not...