Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Help Needed

Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
ryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to behold

ryantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Help Needed

I recently got my first tacoma(2nd gen) and I plan on off roading about 10 to 25% of the time, but nothing too serious just some fun trails and messing around in the sand a little bit; I would also like to put about a 2.5- 3inch lift on it

With that being said, what are your recomendations on what I should do and please explain what they are such as bilstein ect. and their effects (sorry for the ignorance this will be my first very own tacoma) or would my tacoma still look nice with just a leveler and what exactly is a leveler.( i have been researching this but I usually only come across post that say what the lift is not to much explanation bc most all ready know what they are talking about)---Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Dont get a spacer lift, you dont even need to know what it is or does just know its no good if you wheel.

that being said. 5100s are adjustable and will give you 2.5" of lift if you crank them up. They are a low end coilover but that doesnt mean they are bad.

OME is a good setup using another coilover and they are generally more durable.

Mid travel is a whole nother story and LT is too far for what you want.

A leveling kit does just that, usually it involves spacers but you can also level your truck with 5100s.

What else?

Edit: although, if you want a lot of fun in the sand run LT, just be prepared to spend $10000 lol
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
first............................

do u have 5 or 6 lugs on ur rims?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
ryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post

I believe they are 5

Another quick question: is there a difference between the TRD off road lugs and TRD sport lugs
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantaco View Post
I believe they are 5

Another quick question: is there a difference between the TRD off road lugs and TRD sport lugs
If you have a 4x4 or a prerunner you have 6 lug wheels. and I do not believe the lugs are any different from offroad to sport? correct me if I am wrong somebody.

The wheels themselves are different however.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
If you have a 4x4 or a prerunner you have 6 lug wheels. and I do not believe the lugs are any different from offroad to sport? correct me if I am wrong somebody.

The wheels themselves are different however.
offroad and sport are both 6 lug, as are all 2nd gen 4x4 and prerunners regardless of sport/base/offroad.

All prerunners are based off the 4wd chassis and suspension and have 6 lugs.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
offroad and sport are both 6 lug, as are all 2nd gen 4x4 and prerunners regardless of sport/base/offroad.

All prerunners are based off the 4wd chassis and suspension and have 6 lugs.
Then I that case I have 6
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then I that case I have 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Dont get a spacer lift, you dont even need to know what it is or does just know its no good if you wheel.

that being said. 5100s are adjustable and will give you 2.5" of lift if you crank them up. They are a low end coilover but that doesnt mean they are bad.

OME is a good setup using another coilover and they are generally more durable.

Mid travel is a whole nother story and LT is too far for what you want.

A leveling kit does just that, usually it involves spacers but you can also level your truck with 5100s.

What else?

Edit: although, if you want a lot of fun in the sand run LT, just be prepared to spend $10000 lol
Then here is your answer
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Hang on, I saw this done in a cartoon once!
mdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdkingen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mdkingen's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Old Man Emu 3 in.(Probably closer to 2 1/2 in.) 884 springs and no spacers. Toytech 2 in. add a leaf in the back. You can research lifts on her until your head spins. I think the general consensus on here about spacers is that they are not worth it. Find the sticky on the home page about lifts and read through it. It has a lot of good info. Then, do what you need to do.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Excellent question Brock !!

Quote:
I believe they are 5

If you're a "5 lugger" you'll be happy to know that you do not have to chop any cab mounts to fit slightly larger tire as the TRD/Sport models do, this is because there are no cab mounts TO chop....
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Then here is your answer
With the lift what would be an appropriate tire size?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With the lift what would be an appropriate tire size?
With a 3" lift? Prob some 32-ish unless you wanna cut and trim. Check out some other people's builds in the builds forum to get some solid for sure fits.