1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Shackles??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by OlyTacoma173, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Feb 19, 2009 at 1:37 AM
    OlyTacoma173

OlyTacoma173 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    LineX Spray-in bedliner, deckplate mod, K&N High-flow filter, Camburg Coilovers and UCAs, Alcan leaf-pack, Elite plate bumper
    I'm sure this has been addressed at some point on the forum. I did a search but didn't come up with a definitive answer. Can anyone tell me what the pros/cons of installing 2" lift shackles on my 2004 Tacoma might be? I understand I'd have to adjust the exhaust in some way. Any details on exactly what would have to be done? I'm looking at putting in Camberg Coilovers on the front with the Camberg UCAs. Want to raise the front about 2.5" and want to bring the back up a little to match. Is there a better way to do this? I'm a little wary of the AAL just because I've heard they can break. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:15 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Never heard of an AAL breaking... I've had mine for 3ish years now... :eek:

The camburg stuff is good... :thumbsup: I like it.

3. Feb 19, 2009 at 3:06 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    pros:
    more flex

cons:
    shorter life on leaf springs (they flatten and then neg arch very quickly with shackles)

shackles are cheap...and easy...but they severely limit the lifespan of your leaf springs...ive never heard of an AAL breaking...since you have an 04...i'd check out wheelersoffroad and look into their 3leaf progressive AAL kit...i have it and it works fantastic both on and offroad...and it re-arched my springs pretty well...

as far as adjusting the exhaust...you can just cut the last pipe off somewhere near the rear axle...gets it out of the way

4. Feb 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    OlyTacoma173

OlyTacoma173 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    LineX Spray-in bedliner, deckplate mod, K&N High-flow filter, Camburg Coilovers and UCAs, Alcan leaf-pack, Elite plate bumper
    Thanks for your help. I think I'm just going to go ahead and do the AAL, and later down the road invest in a new leaf pack.

Products Discussed in

To Top