Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon coil overs L/R sides??? Quick help please!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Icon coil overs L/R sides??? Quick help please!

So I am trying to install my new icon coil overs as we speak. Is there a left and right side? The bolt holes on the top are in different places. Neither put the charge port facing straight out. Should it be angling towards to front of the vehicle or back?? Ahhh I want these on but a little confused and don't wanna do it wrong. Anyone know??
Attached Thumbnails
Icon coil overs L/R sides??? Quick help please!-image.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at the top plate, it looks like one is just upside down compared to the other. Does this matter or make a difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
here is a very good guide, someone did up on the Forum. Sorry can't remember who's this is
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Icon Stage 4 Install_Part I_2012-01-01 (1).pdf (1.38 MB, 40 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoozel View Post
here is a very good guide, someone did up on the Forum. Sorry can't remember who's this is
Thanks. Still a little confused... When I line my bolts up on the tower bracket and the coil overs, The charging valve does not face straight out like every picture I have seen. It is turned towards the front of the truck. I dont know if this is a big deal or not. I know how to change coils/struts on this truck. Just does not seem to line up facing the direction it should with my stock mounting bolt holes.
Would it weaken my mounting bracket it I were to drill new holes so the coilover faced with the charging valve facing directly out? The only reason I think this might be an issue is because on the top plate, it has a pivoting joint. If this is not at the angle it us supposed to be, I will not be maximizing my suspension articulation on that pivoting joint. Does this make sense to anyone at least?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a pic. Notice how my charging valve comes out facing towards the front of the truck, unlike the other pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohler View Post
Here's a pic. Notice how my charging valve comes out facing towards the front of the truck, unlike the other pic.
I just got off the phone with Todd at ICON and he said that is how it should go. No L/R side, and the picture above is how it is supposed to go! I am still a little skeptical because all the other pictures look different that this, but I guess I will go ahead and finish putting the rest of it back together, take it for a spin, and enjoy the new coilovers
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
My charging port faces out towards the wheel, but maybe you have some that could easily be made into remote reservoir setup with charging port facing other direction to clear tubing/piping control arms for remote setup? I may be off here, just a thought but I think it would be no big deal.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoda View Post
My charging port faces out towards the wheel, but maybe you have some that could easily be made into remote reservoir setup with charging port facing other direction to clear tubing/piping control arms for remote setup? I may be off here, just a thought but I think it would be no big deal.
Yeah dude, I dunno! But I think your right, doesn't really matter. The main reason I was concerned which way it was facing is because I thought it was a joint pivoting on a bolt on the top plate, but its a HEIM JOINT so it doesn't matter which way it faces (except for access), it will pivot at any direction. Had them on for a day now. They don't absorb pot holes, but definitely make for a smoother ride on the road. Gonna do some light offroading in it today, not gonna get too crazy till my new brake lines get it. At full droop they are snug!!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
That's interesting. Mine face straight out and have a hole at 12 (when looking down on it, which is on the engine side) then two holes at 4 and 8 which are on the tire side

Edit. Now I see that you are a 1st Gen. Ignore my comment please
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
That's interesting. Mine face straight out and have a hole at 12 (when looking down on it, which is on the engine side) then two holes at 4 and 8 which are on the tire side

Edit. Now I see that you are a 1st Gen. Ignore my comment please
It's all good, pics I have seen the charge valve is facing out in the center. It doesn't matter I suppose. It's still accessible. I sent a bunch of pics to ICON n they said its correct as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Mine faces the front as well. I just did mine about two weeks ago.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Did you guys have 3 holes or 6 on the top plate?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Three
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
same, in the instructions it said that if it had 6 holes use the ones with dots by them so was just curious. Mine must just be different because its the ICONS for a 6" lift application.