1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ADVICE: Can I add 1" onto my spindle somehow?!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jkohler, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    02 4DR Taco TDR Supercharged SR5 6in lift
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    SO, I have Tuff Country 5" lift spindles and have a 6" lift. Its not a big deal, but i could increase my full droop if the spindle was 1" taller. Is there a good spacer anyone makes that I could add to my spindle or has anyone ever welded an extension on their spindle before? Might be a stupid question, and I know I should just buy a new taller spindle, but dont have an extra grand layin around to replace the ones that already cost me a grand.

2. May 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Going down the route of spacers or hack jobs never turns out very well when it comes to suspension lol. Either buy a new(or used) kit that is designed to provide you with 6" of lift...or crank up your coils some more I guess lol

3. May 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Sell the current and buy new.

4. May 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  5. May 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    I'd like to buy new ones and sell the old ones, just know I will be losing a lot of money doing so.
    The issue isn't the lift or the coil overs or anything, just that the upper control arm has to be brought down farther to reach the top of the spindle. This is causing me to lose about an inch of down travel. Not a big deal. Just throwin the idea out there, seeing if anyone else has done anything to get an extra 1" on theirs.
    I used to be a jeep man, and most the shit we did was custom build, seems like nobody does that with tacos! Agreed, I SHOULD just get new spindles. Why the fuck are tacoma's so expensive to lift?! Most expensive vehicle to lift that I have ever seen. Hands down, bad ass machines tho!

6. May 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    As I said in your other post... good luck with the 11" lift.

Explain to me why there is a different spindle on the 6" lift.

Explain how the 5" lift spindle works.

Now see how you must add 6" to the top of the 5" spindle to make it fit?

Tons of people do custom Toyota lifts. They are called long travel lifts and solid axle swaps.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  7. May 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    What the fuck are you talking about, dude? I have completely new spindles. Go post in a forum you know what you are talking about.

photo.jpg

8. May 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    You're kidding, nobody does custom Toyota work. Go somewhere you know what you are talking about ;)

OP, if you had a 6" lift why did you buy 5" spindles? I'm sure you can get more than enough money out of your old spindles. Is there anything on them that wears out due to mileage?

9. May 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    Because the dudes at Mt Logan Off-road told me it would work just fine and nobody made a 6" spindle. Its only a year and half old. The only thing that could wear out is the bearing, which can be replaced by pressing the old one out and new one in.
    By "Custom builds" I meant not buying a kit. My experience with Jeeps there is a lot more of fabricating your own suspension components and modifications, along with kit parts. Haven't seen many custom non-kit builds besides sas, but most them come in kits as well.
    Of course, every lift is "customizing",
    Not the point i'm trying to argue.

10. May 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK 5" spindle lift for 2wd truck mounts the actual spindle or wheel mount point 5" lower ONTHE SPINDLE. The drop bracket lift drops the axle and lca 6". Do you now see how with level lca you have 11" lift?

And I'm the one who does not know what he is talking about?

For more fabricated Toyota stuff visit pirate 4x4.

11. May 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    Can someone explain to him how spindles work...

Does my truck look like its 2WD or have an 11" lift? The 6" DB does lower the front end suspension, that is why you need a longer spindle and coil overs- to make up for the 6" you raised everything. NOT a 11" lift...Comprende?
    If we were talking about 2WD, you might be right. I don't know a lot about 2WD's work, but I know a spindle lift on a 2WD and 4WD are completely different.

12. May 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Wait, you're a 4x4? I wasn't aware they made lift spindles for 4x4....your CV angles must be very harsh...

13. May 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    YES IM 4x4. With the drop bracket kit, they are actually almost at stock angles. The drop bracket is a new crossmember that lowers the 3rd member with it, keeping stock dimensions on the cvs. Without the DB you can only go about 3" before your cv angles get bad.

14. May 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Good fucking god this thread is full of misinformation and asshole responses.

First of all, the Tuff Country DB lift is a 5" lift...not 6" and comes with replacement spindles to compensate for the drop bracket. Just cause it has lift spindles, does not equate to 11" of lift...its still 5" with the included lift spindles.

Secondly there are no aftermarket LIFT spindles available for 4wd trucks except those that are provided with DB lifts.

Finally, to the OP...the problem with just adding a spacer or increasing the overall spread of the UCA/LCA without modifying the tie rod mounting location is bump steer. Without correcting the tie rod locations you'll be hating life. If you want more travel, it's time for LT or SAS.

See below image to show the biggest player in causing bump steer.

[​IMG]

15. May 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Well said Jason. I didn't think about compensation on a spindle for a DB lift.

16. May 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    What is bump steer? Don't know that i've heard of that before. Nice diagram tho, ill have to take some measurements and see where im at.

17. May 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK my bad... his post said he had 5" lift spindles so I was thinking 2wd spindles that lift 5" by lowering the wheel. Did not realise he just had the wrong drop bracket spindles.

18. May 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler [OP] HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    They're right, not for a 2wd tho (; glad that is out of the way hah! I shoulda stated 4wd in the title seeings how popular and different spindle lifts are between 2wd and 4wd.

I called pro comp today, and they won't just sell me the 6" spindles I need separate from the 6" DB lift kit it comes in for 4x4. If anyone sees any lemme know! Already found someone who wants my 5" ones :)

19. May 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Ok...seriously...WTF. Do you have any idea what kind of lift you really have on your truck? It sounds like you need to make some local tacoma friends to help you out and set you strait.
    Do you have a pro-comp DB lift or a Tuff Country DB lift? AFAIK, Pro Comp doesn't even sell a 6" DB lift for the first gens. They sell a 4" DB lift for first gens that comes with a spindle spacer and a coil spacer...does NOT come with spindles. Pro Comp does however make a 6" DB lift for second gens...in which new spindles are provided, but they are completely different and will not fit a first gen. This mixing and matching of parts between kits is why you keep breaking shocks.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  20. May 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    :rolleyes:

Both of these threads this guy has started about his lift have ended up :crapstorm::crapstorm:

OP good luck figuring everything out, personally I've read through both threads and still can't figure out what kind of lift you have, or what you're even trying to achieve...:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top