Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ADVICE: Can I add 1" onto my spindle somehow?!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
HUH?
Jkohler is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
ADVICE: Can I add 1" onto my spindle somehow?!

SO, I have Tuff Country 5" lift spindles and have a 6" lift. Its not a big deal, but i could increase my full droop if the spindle was 1" taller. Is there a good spacer anyone makes that I could add to my spindle or has anyone ever welded an extension on their spindle before? Might be a stupid question, and I know I should just buy a new taller spindle, but dont have an extra grand layin around to replace the ones that already cost me a grand.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Going down the route of spacers or hack jobs never turns out very well when it comes to suspension lol. Either buy a new(or used) kit that is designed to provide you with 6" of lift...or crank up your coils some more I guess lol
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to buy new ones and sell the old ones, just know I will be losing a lot of money doing so.
The issue isn't the lift or the coil overs or anything, just that the upper control arm has to be brought down farther to reach the top of the spindle. This is causing me to lose about an inch of down travel. Not a big deal. Just throwin the idea out there, seeing if anyone else has done anything to get an extra 1" on theirs.
I used to be a jeep man, and most the shit we did was custom build, seems like nobody does that with tacos! Agreed, I SHOULD just get new spindles. Why the fuck are tacoma's so expensive to lift?! Most expensive vehicle to lift that I have ever seen. Hands down, bad ass machines tho!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
As I said in your other post... good luck with the 11" lift.

Explain to me why there is a different spindle on the 6" lift.

Explain how the 5" lift spindle works.

Now see how you must add 6" to the top of the 5" spindle to make it fit?

Tons of people do custom Toyota lifts. They are called long travel lifts and solid axle swaps.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post

What the fuck are you talking about, dude? I have completely new spindles. Go post in a forum you know what you are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
ADVICE: Can I add 1" onto my spindle somehow?!-photo.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Tons of people do custom Toyota lifts. They are called long travel lifts and solid axle swaps.
You're kidding, nobody does custom Toyota work. Go somewhere you know what you are talking about

OP, if you had a 6" lift why did you buy 5" spindles? I'm sure you can get more than enough money out of your old spindles. Is there anything on them that wears out due to mileage?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
You're kidding, nobody does custom Toyota work. Go somewhere you know what you are talking about

OP, if you had a 6" lift why did you buy 5" spindles? I'm sure you can get more than enough money out of your old spindles. Is there anything on them that wears out due to mileage?
Because the dudes at Mt Logan Off-road told me it would work just fine and nobody made a 6" spindle. Its only a year and half old. The only thing that could wear out is the bearing, which can be replaced by pressing the old one out and new one in.
By "Custom builds" I meant not buying a kit. My experience with Jeeps there is a lot more of fabricating your own suspension components and modifications, along with kit parts. Haven't seen many custom non-kit builds besides sas, but most them come in kits as well.
Of course, every lift is "customizing",
Not the point i'm trying to argue.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
OK 5" spindle lift for 2wd truck mounts the actual spindle or wheel mount point 5" lower ONTHE SPINDLE. The drop bracket lift drops the axle and lca 6". Do you now see how with level lca you have 11" lift?

And I'm the one who does not know what he is talking about?

For more fabricated Toyota stuff visit pirate 4x4.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK 5" spindle lift for 2wd truck mounts the actual spindle or wheel mount point 5" lower ONTHE SPINDLE. The drop bracket lift drops the axle and lca 6". Do you now see how with level lca you have 11" lift?

And I'm the one who does not know what he is talking about?
Can someone explain to him how spindles work...

Does my truck look like its 2WD or have an 11" lift? The 6" DB does lower the front end suspension, that is why you need a longer spindle and coil overs- to make up for the 6" you raised everything. NOT a 11" lift...Comprende?
If we were talking about 2WD, you might be right. I don't know a lot about 2WD's work, but I know a spindle lift on a 2WD and 4WD are completely different.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wait, you're a 4x4? I wasn't aware they made lift spindles for 4x4....your CV angles must be very harsh...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Wait, you're a 4x4? I wasn't aware they made lift spindles for 4x4....your CV angles must be very harsh...
YES IM 4x4. With the drop bracket kit, they are actually almost at stock angles. The drop bracket is a new crossmember that lowers the 3rd member with it, keeping stock dimensions on the cvs. Without the DB you can only go about 3" before your cv angles get bad.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Good fucking god this thread is full of misinformation and asshole responses.

First of all, the Tuff Country DB lift is a 5" lift...not 6" and comes with replacement spindles to compensate for the drop bracket. Just cause it has lift spindles, does not equate to 11" of lift...its still 5" with the included lift spindles.

Secondly there are no aftermarket LIFT spindles available for 4wd trucks except those that are provided with DB lifts.

Finally, to the OP...the problem with just adding a spacer or increasing the overall spread of the UCA/LCA without modifying the tie rod mounting location is bump steer. Without correcting the tie rod locations you'll be hating life. If you want more travel, it's time for LT or SAS.

See below image to show the biggest player in causing bump steer.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Well said Jason. I didn't think about compensation on a spindle for a DB lift.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
What is bump steer? Don't know that i've heard of that before. Nice diagram tho, ill have to take some measurements and see where im at.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
OK my bad... his post said he had 5" lift spindles so I was thinking 2wd spindles that lift 5" by lowering the wheel. Did not realise he just had the wrong drop bracket spindles.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
HUH?

Jkohler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK my bad... his post said he had 5" lift spindles so I was thinking 2wd spindles that lift 5" by lowering the wheel. Did not realise he just had the wrong drop bracket spindles.
They're right, not for a 2wd tho (; glad that is out of the way hah! I shoulda stated 4wd in the title seeings how popular and different spindle lifts are between 2wd and 4wd.

I called pro comp today, and they won't just sell me the 6" spindles I need separate from the 6" DB lift kit it comes in for 4x4. If anyone sees any lemme know! Already found someone who wants my 5" ones (:
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohler View Post
They're right, not for a 2wd tho (; glad that is out of the way hah! I shoulda stated 4wd in the title seeings how popular and different spindle lifts are between 2wd and 4wd.

I called pro comp today, and they won't just sell me the 6" spindles I need separate from the 6" DB lift kit it comes in for 4x4. If anyone sees any lemme know! Already found someone who wants my 5" ones (:
Ok...seriously...WTF. Do you have any idea what kind of lift you really have on your truck? It sounds like you need to make some local tacoma friends to help you out and set you strait.
Do you have a pro-comp DB lift or a Tuff Country DB lift? AFAIK, Pro Comp doesn't even sell a 6" DB lift for the first gens. They sell a 4" DB lift for first gens that comes with a spindle spacer and a coil spacer...does NOT come with spindles. Pro Comp does however make a 6" DB lift for second gens...in which new spindles are provided, but they are completely different and will not fit a first gen. This mixing and matching of parts between kits is why you keep breaking shocks.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery

Both of these threads this guy has started about his lift have ended up

OP good luck figuring everything out, personally I've read through both threads and still can't figure out what kind of lift you have, or what you're even trying to achieve...