Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What do you think about this set-up?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
What do you think about this set-up?

I just bought my tacoma and was wondering what you all think about my planned lift/suspension mods. Most of this is fairly new to me so I've been relying on long hours searching this forum and word of mouth.

Originally I was looking at something like below:
3" Toytec OME Lift - 885's + Alcan AAL (Or Dakar Leaf Springs)
or
- 3” Bilstein 5100’s w/ OME Coils + AAL

After further consultation this is where I'm at:
Icon Extended travel Coil Overs
Camburg Uni ball UCA
Icon AAL
Icon 2.0 rear shocks

I use the truck to drive to work most weekdays, although definitely plan to start taking her out more on the weekends out to places like sycamore creek, run some trails in flagstaff etc. I took it out once and already can tell this will be a life long addiction and figured it would only benefit me in the long run to have an upgraded set up. I'll also be getting 285/70/17 BFG ATs and throwing on a cold air filter and magnaflow catback.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated - thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunkoma View Post
I just bought my tacoma and was wondering what you all think about my planned lift/suspension mods. Most of this is fairly new to me so I've been relying on long hours searching this forum and word of mouth.

Originally I was looking at something like below:
3" Toytec OME Lift - 885's + Alcan AAL (Or Dakar Leaf Springs)
or
- 3” Bilstein 5100’s w/ OME Coils + AAL

After further consultation this is where I'm at:
Icon Extended travel Coil Overs
Camburg Uni ball UCA
Icon AAL
Icon 2.0 rear shocks

I use the truck to drive to work most weekdays, although definitely plan to start taking her out more on the weekends out to places like sycamore creek, run some trails in flagstaff etc. I took it out once and already can tell this will be a life long addiction and figured it would only benefit me in the long run to have an upgraded set up. I'll also be getting 285/70/17 BFG ATs and throwing on a cold air filter and magnaflow catback.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated - thanks

contact Sonny or Micah at downsouth motorsports and give them the details.... they can tell ya what options may suite u best and WILL NOT UPSELL you. best prices, free shipping, absolute best customer support around. They carry everything u have listed above for suspension plus MUCH MUCH more.....good choice on the ICON progressive AAL, u will like it.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

as for intakes, do ur homework............the newer TRD intake is crap and throws check engine lights because K&N rushed the design and based it off of the 4runner/fj intake and its just different enough in design (fj/4runner to tacoma) to cause afr errors (I think it was a lean issue).

ur option on intakes is limited iirc due to the revisions on the 2012+ emissions stuff.

URD will work with minro modifications and is a true "Cold" air intake, pulling air from behind the grill...........honestly tho, ur stock intake pulls in ambient air temps, and I just dont see ANYTHING being cooler than ambient besides an icebox mod.
other intakes that work with the 2012+ may have less bends and provide SOME peformance, but mainly its just noise, since they remove the factory baffles.

a catback may not be neccisary...........be careful how large u go...Id think 2.5 (iirc thats stock for 2009+) is fine for N/A, so a simple muffler swap may be good enough for your needs.

stay away from flowmaster............they are said to cost us HP, and they def drone at highway speeds.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
<3
Dunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDunkoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
contact Sonny or Micah at downsouth motorsports and give them the details.... they can tell ya what options may suite u best and WILL NOT UPSELL you. best prices, free shipping, absolute best customer support around.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

as for intakes, do ur homework............the newer TRD intake is crap and throws check engine lights because K&N rushed the design and based it off of the 4runner/fj intake and its just different enough in design (fj/4runner to tacoma) to cause afr errors (I think it was a lean issue).
Thanks man I'll definitely scope them out I've heard them mentioned a handful of times on tw.

For the intake I was looking at the K&N although was suggested the AFE intake and filters - have you hear of them before?

Just read the rest of your post - I may just hold off for now, very mixed reviews on if the replacement is even worth it I just figured it could only help.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunkoma View Post
Thanks man I'll definitely scope them out I've heard them mentioned a handful of times on tw.

For the intake I was looking at the K&N although was suggested the AFE intake and filters - have you hear of them before?
updated my post.

K&N is an oiled filter.............ur gunna have to handle the oiling process carefully, they even come OVER oiled and can gum up the MAF sensor. Just look at what a stellar job they did when they made the new style "TRD" intake

AFE is decent.... the AFE stage 2 Si with a multi layered synthetic DRY filter (its an option I highly suggest) will make u happy.... its basically the older style TRD intake (TRD/toyota DOES NOT have the capacity to make intakes or even filters, they contract others to do it).... the old TRD was updated for emissions reasons only, and I have not heard of any check engine light or lean issues with it.

Im running the AFE stage 2 Si right now actually......its a little loud n/a but u may like it....I dont hear it 1 bit over the blower whine tho, so if thats in ur future, its a great candidate.

AFE also makes drop in filters, but the restriction to the v6's intake tract is NOT the filter, so adding a drop in filter will net zero HP gains or sooo low, its within the margin of dyno error.

Gadget at underdog racing did dyno runs with his x-runner (same engine)...he tried it with the stock setup, then stock setup with NO filter.........then stock setup with stock filter and NO charcoal filter.......then again with no filters at all (charcoal/carbon or regular)...............

zero changes in HP..
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #5

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
lil reading for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
I tuned another NEW style TRD intake today.

Now that I have tuned a few of them now I can say they are all equally messed up with the level of induced MAF sensor error.

So, if any of you with the new TRD intake want a MAF cal we have a map we can preload into it for you.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
The issue for TRD is that it is not a legal intake system and it was being sold through the Toyota dealers.

I met with the owner and the VP of aFe and they where working hard on a carbon trap solution so that the intake could be CARB certified, but I guess they never pulled it off and K&N got the contract.

What K&N did is pretty much copy the intake for the new 2010 FJ and 4Runner. It uses the very same filter size and carbon trap and looks very much the same. Where they went wrong is they did not size the tubing properly for the MAF sensor and it jacks up the calibration. It has been jacked up for a good while and it appears they are not going to be fixing it, which is good. URD can fix it like we have fixed many TRD products in the past.

FYI, it looks like the only intake on the market that will fit the 2012 V6 is the URD TCAI.

G

can be found here

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...D+intake+fixed
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #6

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
If we are talking about the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6, then that statement is completely in error.

On many engines these days there is little or no increase in power when an aftermarket air intake is installed, but that is not the case on the 1GR.

When URD got our 2005 Tacoma, I immediately started looking for the "FREE" hp mods that I found for the older 3.4L V6. All of that is detailed on my website www.GadgetOnline.com.

I got on the dyno and started running tests and tested it without the big main tube installed. No gain in power. Tested it with the lid off of the air filter box. No gain in power. Tested it with the carbon trap removed. No gain in power. Tested it with the lid off, the main filter out and the carbon trap out, NO GAIN IN POWER.

It was very clear that the stock air filter box its self had to go. It makes sense if you really look at the design of it. The air has to make several sharp turns in there before it gets into the engine. All these turns makes so much turbulence that Toyota had to install a flow straightener before the MAF to calm things down to get a clean reading. All this adds up to a significant flow restriction.

This led to the development of the URD TCAI. On my 2005 XRunner it gained around 18 RWHP over the stock air filter box and the faster you drive it take advantage of the increased dynamic air pressure that builds up in front of the vehicle to force more air into the engine then would normally be pulled in for more power.

The URD TCAI was intended to be a street performance intake and it is ideal for the XRunners. If you are an avid off roader and go through creeks and streams it is not the intake for you. For you guys we have the aFe Stage 2si intake.

aFe used to make the intake system for TRD and it is a very good intake. I tested that on my 2006 4Runner with the 1GR and the gain was 12 RWHP over the stock air filter box and we keep a large stock of these intakes with the ProDryS synthetic filter on the self at URD.

Those are the two intakes we recommend the most. There are some others we have gained experience with over the years and here are a few:

Volant- Nice design overall but there is a significant design problem that makes the MAF read very high causing the engine to run very rich killing power. Generally most with the Volant will have a loss of power over stock due to the increase in the richness of the fuel mixture. URD has a special program for our MAF Cal to address this. On one customer' truck a dyno test showed a loss of 15 RWHP with the Volant and after a retune with the URD MAF Cal the gain was 30 RWHP (15 over the stock intake only after correction).

AirAid- We have dyno tested this and there is no gain because they retain the stock air filter box and convert it to a hot air intake. They are basically just sticking a cone filter where the main air tube is and removing the filter media from inside the air filter box.

There are others that are hot air intakes, your basic filter on a stick and they pull in hot engine compartment air. This is not good for making power in general.

If I can help you with a URD or an aFe intake, let me know.

G
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Your suspension and tire choices are great. All the bolt on mods for intake and exhaust are purely aesthetic for sound and looks. The only mods that you will feel are regearing and forced intake.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #8

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...os-w-mods.html

but I do agree that F/I is much more fun..........
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
<3

Dunkoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
lil reading for ya

can be found here

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...D+intake+fixed
Good reading - still a bit over my head but I get the general point. The filter they suggest is the same I was told to get by the shop so that makes me feel better.

I understand in the end there really isn't much of a increase in HP if not at all, sound and appearance are part of my deciding factors. I don't know much about re-gearing but saw that it may be necessary, thats something else I will go find some more reading on Thanks again dude I'll probably reread this article to absorb it a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Your suspension and tire choices are great. All the bolt on mods for intake and exhaust are purely aesthetic for sound and looks. The only mods that you will feel are regearing and forced intake.
Dev do you know anything about Toyo AT II's? I heard they are cheaper, have a better side wall and longer tread warranty.