Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein's or not?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
camo junkie is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
camo junkie's Tacoma Gallery
Question Bilstein's or not?

I have a 2008 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 4x4 that I though I want to lift 2.5" in front with 5100's and 1.5" AAL in the rear with new Bilstein's in the rear. I have done many searches on the subject but only seem to find a lot of confusing opinions on the matter. I use my truck as a daily driver and currently run 265\75\16 with a little rubbing but might want to move up to 285's down the road. I occasionally go off road but generally nothing very serious & don't really want to lift more that 2.5" to 3" at most.

Here are my questions:
  • Will the ride still be comfortable with the Bilstein 2.5" lift option
  • Will I need new UCA's if set at 2.5"
  • Will I need a differential drop
  • Will I be able to get the frontend properly aligned
  • Could the 5100's set at 2.5" damage anything
  • Should I consider a different approach to gain the desired lift
Sure would like to get some expert opinions on the matter
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Get a set of springs and do not preload the 5100's.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
OME 3"

with icon or wheelers progressive aal

preloading offroad coils will give u a rough ride.

UCA at 2.5 are a toss up, but Id budget them in just in case.

Im no expert, but I rode in chris' truck with the OME coils and shocks and it was comfortable.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #4

Bilstein 5100's or not?

bump
Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2008 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 4x4 that I though I want to lift 2.5" in front with 5100's and 1.5" AAL in the rear with new Bilstein's in the rear. I have done many searches on the subject but only seem to find a lot of confusing opinions on the matter. I use my truck as a daily driver and currently run 265\75\16 with a little rubbing but might want to move up to 285's down the road. I occasionally go off road but generally nothing very serious & don't really want to lift more that 2.5" to 3" at most.

Here are my questions:
  • Will the ride still be comfortable with the Bilstein 2.5" lift option
  • No
  • Will I need new UCA's if set at 2.5"
  • Possibly
  • Will I need a differential drop
  • General consensus on here is that diff drops on 2nd gens don't make much of a difference on the angles plus putting the diff in harms way. Search diff drop and there are many threads on it.
  • Will I be able to get the frontend properly aligned
  • With UCA's yes, without new UCA's it might not be perfect. Every truck is different
  • Could the 5100's set at 2.5" damage anything
  • Damage No. Cause more wear on parts Yes anytime you lift it can.
  • Should I consider a different approach to gain the desired lift
  • I have bilsteins set at 1.75, the ride is stiff enough. Any higher you should be considering lift springs.
Sure would like to get some expert opinions on the matter
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo junkie View Post
bump Bilstein 5100's or not?
not

and I concur about the diff drop.............does more damage than good

talk to MJP2 about it
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

Thanks Ronn your information was very helpful
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
No problem