Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fox 2.5 shock question

Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
JOE619 is on a distinguished road
Name: broseph aka JOE
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Fox 2.5 shock question

I just bought a pair of fox 2.5 shocks with the res and there on there way!! the person I bought them from said that they can adjusted to 3.5" and I was just wondering if my stock Arms will even allow that? Also if not what do I need to get the full 3.5 out of them?

springs are pre loaded (600lbs)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I would not suggest 3.5" of lift. Here's why, you won't get it into good alignment and it will ride downright terrible
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
so what are the setting you have to chose from like stock and 1'' 2'' and 3'' or how do you chose from that ?
and would be good high for some trail driving I was thinking about getting some UCA and that about it with the front
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE619 View Post
so what are the setting you have to chose from like stock and 1'' 2'' and 3'' or how do you chose from that ?
and would be good high for some trail driving I was thinking about getting some UCA and that about it with the front
They are adjustable to any height up to 3.5" i would recommend 2.75" or so, also uca's are suggested as they are stronger and will help with alignment and the truck possibly wandering on the highway etc
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
how would aliment be with stock a amrs? I was thinking of getting the TC ones and I was not sure if some brands had more trouble with aliment
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
TC is fine, any of the major company's make good arms. The problem with the stock arms is the caster and limited adjustability. Also If your using your truck offroad the aftermarket arms are wayy stronger than the weak stockers
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE619 View Post
how would aliment be with stock a amrs? I was thinking of getting the TC ones and I was not sure if some brands had more trouble with aliment
Your caster with stock arms will be 1.X degrees. Uniball UCA, like Total Chaos add 2 degree caster by moving the uniball back.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use stock UCAs.. buy TC, Camburg, Icon, BR, etc
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Don't use stock UCAs.. buy TC, Camburg, Icon, BR, etc
I have the shocks coming in on Tuesday, I was thinking about putting them in Im going to be only doing street driving un till I get my UCA next month
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Yeah that would be fine
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
JOE619's Tacoma Gallery
and for the rear I was thinking about getting an allpro leaf pack or Deaver with bilstein 5160 shocks
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
I would do the Deaver set up with 5100's or Icon's. Dont bother with the 5150/60's. They come with a generic valving. Same shock would go on a F150 or silverado, you have Tacoma, get something valved and set up for that. I can get you TW pricing on it if you would like, just shoot me a PM. Same with a UCA, We have Camburg, Icon and TC
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Drobinator is on a distinguished road
Name: Dmitry
Drobinator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
I would do the Deaver set up with 5100's or Icon's. Dont bother with the 5150/60's. They come with a generic valving. Same shock would go on a F150 or silverado, you have Tacoma, get something valved and set up for that. I can get you TW pricing on it if you would like, just shoot me a PM. Same with a UCA, We have Camburg, Icon and TC
Hey can you point me to a post on valving? i'm looking at suspension upgrades and i really like the reviews of the 5160s in terms of reliability/ride, or could you give me more info on why you wouldn't go with the 5160s + Dakars in the rear for example?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Personally i would stick to the 5100's or some Icon's in the rear and then either an AAL or a deaver pack. The 5160's have a generic valving. Same that would go on a F150 or a Tacoma, or a Silverado. If you stick with the 5100's or Icon's they will be valved for a Toyota Tacoma.

Bilstein also changed their warranty program, yes they are lifetime, but you have to go direct through them, not the dealer anymore, and they have you buy new shocks, send yours in, and then reimburse you if applicable. With the Icon's you can rebuild or come to a dealer for any issue.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Personally i would stick to the 5100's or some Icon's in the rear and then either an AAL or a deaver pack. The 5160's have a generic valving. Same that would go on a F150 or a Tacoma, or a Silverado. If you stick with the 5100's or Icon's they will be valved for a Toyota Tacoma.

Bilstein also changed their warranty program, yes they are lifetime, but you have to go direct through them, not the dealer anymore, and they have you buy new shocks, send yours in, and then reimburse you if applicable. With the Icon's you can rebuild or come to a dealer for any issue.
How are those deaver j66 packs holding up you install . I know they aren't made to carry a bunch of weight and I don't . I actually think they run great on my regular cab but I have heard otherwise with double and acess cabs . I know you have installed quite a few .
Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
How are those deaver j66 packs holding up you install . I know they aren't made to carry a bunch of weight and I don't . I actually think they run great on my regular cab but I have heard otherwise with double and acess cabs . I know you have installed quite a few .
We have had nothing but good feedback on the J66's when they are set up with a good shock. Any progressive full spring pack you want a good shock back there to handle it. If your gonna be carrying a ton of extra weight we can always have deaver do a custom pack as well.

Some of the J66 complaints I have seen were paired with a non nitrogen charged shock or incorrect length shock.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
200lbs of camping gear and tools = bottoming out when I ran these on my old truck. They are great with zero weight but suck for trips with gear. I ran Donahoe/Edelbrock shocks with them.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
Drobinator is on a distinguished road
Name: Dmitry
Drobinator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So Deaver Pack > dakar springs
and 5100 valving > 5160 valving
but is the shock 5160 > 5100 IMHO so but i dunno anything so just asking

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Cuz Stock Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobinator View Post
So Deaver Pack > dakar springs
and 5100 valving > 5160 valving
but is the shock 5160 > 5100 IMHO so but i dunno anything so just asking

Deaver FTW!

And the 5100 vs. 5160 is just their model #'s They had 5150 which are a piggyback resi, and the 5160's are a Remote resi.

If you want a resi, we have some 2.0 Icon RR's in stock and i can get you TW price on them.