Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TC UCA clunk

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
wobble is on a distinguished road
wobble's Tacoma Gallery
TC UCA clunk

I installed a set of TC UCAs a few months ago and have been trying to track down a clunking sound since. It's very annoying to hear a clunk every time I hit a bump. My friends say it's pretty loud outside too. Is there anything that can be done to quiet these things down?

At first I thought maybe it was because of running 5100 front struts w/886x springs. So I bought OME 9000 front struts. That didn't help, but did give it a much nicer ride. I also bought some Tri-Flow lubricant for the uni-balls and Super-Lube grease w/PTFE as the instructions say to use.

I then started replacing items continuing to track down this clunk. This includes LCAs (including ball joints and bushings), steering rack, and outer tie rods. These items were worn, so it wasn't wasted money, but I still have the clunk.

I removed the sway bar to eliminate that as a cause. The clunking is not as bad now, but is still there.

I had it aligned yesterday again after installing these items. The mechanic couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from either. He suspected the UCAs, but has never seen a set of TC before, so he didn't know anything about them. He assured me the LCA bolts are balls ass tight and are not moving. He also convinced me to run it with 3.6 caster, but I think it pretty much drives like a limo now, so I may have him put it back closer to 3.

If anyone can give me some advice on how to stop this clunking sound, I would be VERY appreciative. I'm not positive it's the UCAs, but since I've replaced everything else, I think it must be them making the noise.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
make sure theY are installed properly. there should be washers on each side of the bushings when installed, for a total of four washers on each side.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Grab the UCA arm and pull back and forth, if you can feel movement its the uni-ball cup and is oversized compared to the unibal.

I have had this happen in a past set(s) of Camburg and TC UCA's
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
wobble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
make sure theY are installed properly. there should be washers on each side of the bushings when installed, for a total of four washers on each side.
I think I have it installed correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Grab the UCA arm and pull back and forth, if you can feel movement its the uni-ball cup and is oversized compared to the unibal.

I have had this happen in a past set(s) of Camburg and TC UCA's
I just grabbed the UCA arm and pulled back and forth. It shook the truck, but i felt no movement. Do I need to do this with the wheel off the ground so there's no load on it?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobble View Post
I think I have it installed correctly.

I just grabbed the UCA arm and pulled back and forth. It shook the truck, but i felt no movement. Do I need to do this with the wheel off the ground so there's no load on it?

nope youre good, almost sounds like the ball joint at the spindle to LCA.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
nope youre good, almost sounds like the ball joint at the spindle to LCA.
I was thinking the uniball to spindle connection could be loose.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
wobble's Tacoma Gallery
I was able to stop the clunk. Hopefully this will help others in the future.

Here's what I did:
- Loosen UCA bolt/nut until there was about 1/2" of thread showing on each side
- Squirt a fair amount of SuperLube in each zerk
- Remove zerks
- Torque to 85 ft lbs
- Put a jam nut on to prevent the stock nut from backing out
- Re-install zerks
- Clean up excess grease

I went in the hills yesterday playing around and it was so nice not having to hear that clunk anymore
Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
So there was no lube in there and the bolt loosened up ?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you fixed it. 99% of the time, clunks are either something not torqued to spec or a trashed bushing or bearing. Tq wrench is always the first thing I break out for diagnostics.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
wobble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
So there was no lube in there and the bolt loosened up ?
There was lube in there from the initial install. Yes, I think the nut loosened up slightly.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Chakraj is on a distinguished road
Chakraj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobble View Post
I was able to stop the clunk. Hopefully this will help others in the future.

Here's what I did:
- Loosen UCA bolt/nut until there was about 1/2" of thread showing on each side
- Squirt a fair amount of SuperLube in each zerk
- Remove zerks
- Torque to 85 ft lbs
- Put a jam nut on to prevent the stock nut from backing out
- Re-install zerks
- Clean up excess grease

I went in the hills yesterday playing around and it was so nice not having to hear that clunk anymore
I had the same exact issue, needed a jam nut, on top of the stock nut so it wouldnt loosen up.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
You also should tighten the bolt when the truck is resting at ride height.