1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 Road Salt Damage?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Snyperx, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Feb 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx [OP] Seniore Marcos

Member:
    I was wondering if anyone here has experienced any excessive damage to the Bilstein 5100 shocks from road salt? I was under my truck and noticed the shock bodies on my 5100's look awful. They are all dull and discolored. The reason I ask is that I am looked into the Toytec coil over kit to covert my 5100's to adjustable CO's, but am worried about the all aluminum adjustor and thread body. Can anyone give me some insight as to whether I should be concerned or not? I don;t want to fork out $430 to have the kit trashed in one Winter. I live in Wisconsin and salt is a constant here in the Winter months. Thanks!!

2. Feb 20, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i loathe road salting. mine are discolored too.

3. Feb 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    Snyperx

Member:
    Any issues? I mean is it just the shock bodies that look like crap?

4. Feb 20, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    Neubs

Neubs Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    I asked Doug from ToyTec about this and here is what he said:

"Everything on the market will eventually corrode with road salt unfortunately. We anodize all of the aluminum parts and use all zinc plated steel in an effort to reduce any corrosion".

5. Feb 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    that is not good news to hear but I guess its better to be informed

6. Feb 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    Snyperx

Member:
    That is basically the same thing I got from Marcie I think it was? She kept putting me on hold then getting back on. She must have been asking Doug:D Not sure if I am going to do the CO kit then. I am worried about the threads getting corroded and then I won't be able to adjust the coil overs.

7. Feb 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i think if u keep them cleaned off the best u can and spray them down with a good grease u shouldnt have any issues.just my thoughts and what im doing to my c/o.

8. Feb 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    Snyperx

Member:
    I already have the 5100's. I am still on the fence in regard to whether the Toytec CO kit upgrade is worth the $430. I mean the spings can be purchased by themsleves for only $135.

Products Discussed in

To Top