LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 Road Salt Damage?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Bilstein 5100 Road Salt Damage?

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced any excessive damage to the Bilstein 5100 shocks from road salt? I was under my truck and noticed the shock bodies on my 5100's look awful. They are all dull and discolored. The reason I ask is that I am looked into the Toytec coil over kit to covert my 5100's to adjustable CO's, but am worried about the all aluminum adjustor and thread body. Can anyone give me some insight as to whether I should be concerned or not? I don;t want to fork out $430 to have the kit trashed in one Winter. I live in Wisconsin and salt is a constant here in the Winter months. Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i loathe road salting. mine are discolored too.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
i loathe road salting. mine are discolored too.
Any issues? I mean is it just the shock bodies that look like crap?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
that is not good news to hear but I guess its better to be informed
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubs View Post
I asked Doug from ToyTec about this and here is what he said:

"Everything on the market will eventually corrode with road salt unfortunately. We anodize all of the aluminum parts and use all zinc plated steel in an effort to reduce any corrosion".
That is basically the same thing I got from Marcie I think it was? She kept putting me on hold then getting back on. She must have been asking Doug Not sure if I am going to do the CO kit then. I am worried about the threads getting corroded and then I won't be able to adjust the coil overs.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i think if u keep them cleaned off the best u can and spray them down with a good grease u shouldnt have any issues.just my thoughts and what im doing to my c/o.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
I already have the 5100's. I am still on the fence in regard to whether the Toytec CO kit upgrade is worth the $430. I mean the spings can be purchased by themsleves for only $135.