Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New lift/tires - UCA rub

Old 05-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
outdeh is on a distinguished road

Name: Dietrich
outdeh's Tacoma Gallery
New lift/tires - UCA rub

Alright, so here's my situation (this is long-winded, I apologize!). I just installed a new suspension/lift on my 2010 Tacoma 4x4. On the front I went with Bilstein 5100s with OME 885 coils, and on the rear the OME Dakar leaf set and OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Ended up being about a 3 inch lift front and rear.

I took the truck to Discount Tire and very clearly told the sales guy that I wanted the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires, biggest I could go WITHOUT getting any rub. We agreed they'd put 'em on and test them for rub before I walked out. I made the mistake of going out for breakfast while they did it instead of demanding to have it tested before my own eyes. After being assured they were tested, wheels turned all the way, and no problems...sure enough, as I'm reversing into my parking place at home, I feel/hear some nice rub.

The tires aren't rubbing anywhere on the well or fender, they're rubbing on the control arm. Luckily, it only happens when I turn the wheel pretty sharp, mostly when reversing out of parking spots. I took it to my mechanic, and after checking it out, he said it's not really a problem, that it won't hurt anything. Even if that's the case, it's not something I want to live with forever.

The new tires are 285/75R/16, I love the size, don't want to downgrade now that I have them. So, my goal is to find a way to eliminate the rub. One solution I've considered is getting new wheels with an offset to provide a bigger gap between the tire and UCA. I've been thinking about getting new wheels anyway, so I'm not against it. What do y'all think about this as a solution? Any problems with offset? Any other ideas?

Since I'm a newbie on here, here are a few pics of the truck with new lift. Thanks for any help!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Get wheel spacers

^
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

outdeh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerTaco View Post
Im running the same tires, wheels, and front lift. Get some wheels spacers for sure
Thanks for the quick replies. That'd be a cheaper solution than new wheels! Any recommendation on spacer size?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdeh View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. That'd be a cheaper solution than new wheels! Any recommendation on spacer size?
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive got spidertrax 1.25" all around. You only really need one pair of them though
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive got spidertrax 1.25" all around. You only really need one pair of them though
That would look stupid , no ?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
That's a 33" tire. If you put on a 1" or 1.25" wheel spacer, the tire will pivot on a larger scrub radius and rub the fenderwell plastic.

Better to get wheels with 15mm offset. This will space out the tires by about 0.67". This results in less rubbing on the fenderwell. An example is the FJ 6-spoke wheel:
http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...product=331915
Old 05-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
That's a 33" tire. If you put on a 1" or 1.25" wheel spacer, the tire will pivot on a larger scrub radius and rub the fenderwell plastic.

Better to get wheels with 15mm offset. This will space out the tires by about 0.67". This results in less rubbing on the fenderwell. An example is the FJ 6-spoke wheel:
http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...product=331915
Good point

could also consider the Bora spacers

( select 6 lug in the drop down menu )

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/4DCGI...k/clickedlug_s
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
That wouldn't look stupid at all...? You wouldn't even notice. Ive seen members do it
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #12

outdeh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good point

could also consider the Bora spacers

( select 6 lug in the drop down menu )

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/4DCGI...k/clickedlug_s
Interesting. How are the BORA spacers different from other spacers? Would they eliminate the above-mentioned problem?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting. How are the BORA spacers different from other spacers? Would they eliminate the above-mentioned problem?
Bora spacers can be ordered in 0.75" thick, so it's almost as good as using 15 mm offset wheels.

Spacers are cheaper than new wheels of course, but all other precautions apply. For example, you can't use impact guns on them.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That wouldn't look stupid at all...? You wouldn't even notice. Ive seen members do it
I think I would notice if the front wheels stuck out 1 1/4" more than the rears
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the only solution. Trade it with my BFG AT tires. 265/75r16 same wheels. Guaranteed you won't rub.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #17

outdeh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input fellas. Much as I'd like to get new wheels, my wallet is pretty thin after the lift and new tires. I think I'll go with the Bora 0.75" spacers.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You may well have to trim the fenderwell plastic with 0.75" spacers, though not as much as you would have with 1.25" spacers.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
emilminasian is on a distinguished road
Name: Emil Minasian
emilminasian's Tacoma Gallery
these will give your front a really nice stance
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/st05uptacospacers.htm
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopie View Post
Here is the only solution. Trade it with my BFG AT tires. 265/75r16 same wheels. Guaranteed you won't rub.
Oh you sly dog