Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do All Uni-Ball UCAs squeak?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Rooster Feather is on a distinguished road
Rooster Feather's Tacoma Gallery
Do All Uni-Ball UCAs squeak?

Really, really want to pull the trigger on a better suspension system. I currently have stock coils up front and an ADL in the rear with 5100s all around. What I didn't know was that the preload on the coil is making for a harse ride. I drive a lot of pasture and wash boarded county roads and my current suspension ain't cuttin' it.
I've just about decided on the ICONs but am still undecided on the UCAs. From reading, I've found that the Uni-ball design is better as far as travel, bind, and strength. However. The fact that they squeak really makes me question it. Do they all squeak or just certain brands?
There are so many mods a person can do, but only so much money that I can keep stashed from my wife!!!
Any and all input would be appreciated!!
Craig
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard mine squeak
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
most do (i think), but there is a brand or 2 that has covers on them so dust doesn't get in there and make them squeak.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Nofords08.......funny that you would be the first reply, because during the many hours I've spent reading this forum I've saved about 3 or 4 tacoma build pics that I really like. Ones that are built like the look that I'm going for. Yours is one of them. Very cool!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man! I make sure to always wash my truck and ill usually spray the uniball off really well, other than that i havent done anything and they make no squeaks.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
just keep them clean and dry, no oil no nothing

my icon's are squeak free when cclean and dry
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The uniball doesn't squeak, but the urethane bushings do unless you thoroughly and frequently grease them.

The uniball is stainless, but the misalignment spacers All-Pro uses are bare 4130 chromoly, so they'll rust if your area sees road salt in the winter. Icon tubular UCAs and Total Chaos UCAs use stainless spacers.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
also was going to point out grease the bushings on a weekly basis
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Do the control arms have grease zerks to allow easy greasing?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Feather View Post
Do the control arms have grease zerks to allow easy greasing?
Yup very easy
Old 05-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I have had Camburg and TC's in which both were noisy as hell, my Built Rights have never made any noise.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The uniball doesn't squeak, but the urethane bushings do unless you thoroughly and frequently grease them.

The uniball is stainless, but the misalignment spacers All-Pro uses are bare 4130 chromoly, so they'll rust if your area sees road salt in the winter. Icon tubular UCAs and Total Chaos UCAs use stainless spacers.
If the uniball starts to pit it makes some wrenching noises, hit it with a shot of triflow teflon lube and it shuts it up for 5k miles or so.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

better option, plus it drys
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta keep your balls greased.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post

better option, plus it drys
Use the same on mine
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Never had mine squeak
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Mine dont squeek. They are Desert Products with stainless uniballs. Stainless is optional for Total Chaos which is why you get reports of squeek and no squeek. Get all stainless and grease the bushings every oil change.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Mine dont squeek. They are Desert Products with stainless uniballs. Stainless is optional for Total Chaos which is why you get reports of squeek and no squeek. Get all stainless and grease the bushings every oil change.
It doesn't matter if they are chrome, or stainless. What makes them squeak is the steel they are made of. A softer steel is less likely to squeak. Some company's have used a harder steel, thus had squeaks.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It doesn't matter if they are chrome, or stainless. What makes them squeak is the steel they are made of. A softer steel is less likely to squeak. Some company's have used a harder steel, thus had squeaks.
Not all UCA squeek at the uni-ball, in my Camburg case the machined cup was a tad too big and the uni-ball was moving around.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^If the cup is slightly oversize, you can use Loctite retaining compound. If the clearances are too large, you can fold up the thin leaves of a feeler gauge as shim stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
If the uniball starts to pit it makes some wrenching noises, hit it with a shot of triflow teflon lube and it shuts it up for 5k miles or so.
The stainless uniball is still good as new on mine. But the misalignment spacer is rusting. Since the spacer forms part of the ball surface at larger articulation angles, mine makes noise when the suspension moves a lot. Small pavement cracks, expansion joints, etc. don't cause squeaking in the uniball.

In hindsight I would've been better off with Icon UCAs with stainless spacers, but they weren't available at the time.