Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

billy 5100's and taco lean

Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
billy 5100's and taco lean

i have a 2012 DCSB TRD sport... just ordered some 5100's front/rear from downsouth. will i have taco lean? im keeping my factory trd sport springs. If i will have taco lean where do i get the spacer to level it out left to right?

thanks in advance.. also i've searched for the past 4 hours for the answer to this and havent found it. too many combinations with the 5100's to find my answer.

I have rear TSB and will be setting the 5100s at 1.75
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Why yes, I AM a rocket scientist.
Geosh is on a distinguished road

Geosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
i have a 2012 DCSB TRD sport... just ordered some 5100's front/rear from downsouth. will i have taco lean? im keeping my factory trd sport springs. If i will have taco lean where do i get the spacer to level it out left to right?

thanks in advance.. also i've searched for the past 4 hours for the answer to this and havent found it. too many combinations with the 5100's to find my answer.

I have rear TSB and will be setting the 5100s at 1.75
I thought the Taco Lean only had to be dealt with if you swapped out the springs to aftermarket ones. I think the OEM ones are already compensated.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
if you do need the 1/4" spacer plate, just cruise to Ebay...

also, find level spot, walk around truck measure distance from ground to highest part of flare/fenders, compare, it will tell you whether you need it, or not....
Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
JayC06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayC06's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldn't have any lean with that combo. That's the set up I have. It's level all around.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
You will need a spacer to compensate for it cause the stock springs dont do that. This should get the job done and its pretty cheap.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
You will need a spacer to compensate for it cause the stock springs dont do that. This should get the job done and its pretty cheap.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
thanks! just the info i was looking for. so the stock suspension makes up the 1/4 inch with the factory strut? so the springs left to right are the same?

i just want to avoid putting on the 5100's then have to take the drives side all apart again to add the 1/4 spacer. i'd rather just do it the first time.

anyone with this set up have taco lean? seems like half do and half dont. 5100's set at 1.75 and stock trd sport coils.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosh View Post
I thought the Taco Lean only had to be dealt with if you swapped out the springs to aftermarket ones. I think the OEM ones are already compensated.
this is what i was hoping... but some say you still get the taco lean with 5100's set at 1.75 and stock trd sport coils.. just trying to figure this confusing taco lean out!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

again, find level spot, measure to all fenders/flare high spots, you do this before you put in the 5100's, compare, that way you will know BEFORE you do the swap...

Kapeeeeeeeeesh?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
again, find level spot, measure to all fenders/flare high spots, you do this before you put in the 5100's, compare, that way you will know BEFORE you do the swap...

Kapeeeeeeeeesh?
ive done this.. stock i have no taco lean. i dont want to install the 5100's then check it again incase it does or does not have taco lean after changing to the 5100's. Trying to avoid a second take apart.. put in spacer.. and reassemble.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
OldPhart

If you are using the SAME SPRINGS on the same side (your TRD stock springs), then putting in the 5100's is not going to change anything except the height you pick...the springs make for the height, the shock just dampens the action....

I apologize for the measurement thing, I went back and reread but didn't see any reference to measuring...

also, that 1/4" spacer is EZ to install, yes, you have to lower the strut far enough to put the spacer over the three studs that slide through the mounting holes...but you don't have to take the strut apart again, just uninstall/reinstall...

go for it....
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #11

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
If you are using the SAME SPRINGS on the same side (your TRD stock springs), then putting in the 5100's is not going to change anything except the height you pick...the springs make for the height, the shock just dampens the action....

I apologize for the measurement thing, I went back and reread but didn't see any reference to measuring...

also, that 1/4" spacer is EZ to install, yes, you have to lower the strut far enough to put the spacer over the three studs that slide through the mounting holes...but you don't have to take the strut apart again, just uninstall/reinstall...

go for it....
Thanks for the explanation. When my 5100s arrive I'll just throw them in without the spacer and go from there. Really appreciate the help!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
rfsdave is on a distinguished road
Army: 1166 Cbt Het Co. Kuwait/ Iraq
Name: Dave
rfsdave's Tacoma Gallery
My '13 access cab V-6 auto, with stone stock suspension, had a 1/2" lean at the left front and 3/4" lean left rear. This is with less than 4000 street miles. I put a 1/4 " shim (lean spacer) on top of the strut. This brought the front very close to level. It also helped the rear a little. The rear still leaned 1/2" so I installed a 1/2 " shim plate to even out the rear. I got this plate from streetacos.com. It bolts to the bottom of the leaf pac and comes with a new spring center bolt. They sell 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" plates. The stock U bolts are just long enough for the 1/2"plate to fit.
I wouldn't call what I did a lift, but the truck sits a touch taller and looks much better. What I am saying is the stock springs DO lean in most cases, most often just the front, sometimes the front and rear, and almost always to the left side.
I have heard that Toyota corrected the lean using a different left and right spring, but you couldn't prove it by me. I've checked many 2nd gen tacomas, mine is not the only one......
Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsdave View Post
My '13 access cab V-6 auto, with stone stock suspension, had a 1/2" lean at the left front and 3/4" lean left rear. This is with less than 4000 street miles. I put a 1/4 " shim (lean spacer) on top of the strut. This brought the front very close to level. It also helped the rear a little. The rear still leaned 1/2" so I installed a 1/2 " shim plate to even out the rear. I got this plate from streetacos.com. It bolts to the bottom of the leaf pac and comes with a new spring center bolt. They sell 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" plates. The stock U bolts are just long enough for the 1/2"plate to fit.
I wouldn't call what I did a lift, but the truck sits a touch taller and looks much better. What I am saying is the stock springs DO lean in most cases, most often just the front, sometimes the front and rear, and almost always to the left side.
I have heard that Toyota corrected the lean using a different left and right spring, but you couldn't prove it by me. I've checked many 2nd gen tacomas, mine is not the only one......
thanks for the heads up...ill double check mine!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
simply put, the oem coils are in fact side specific and are COLOR CODED. 1 coil will have a half dollar size dot 1 color, and the other coil will have a different color dot.
Mine were red/green.

Keep track of what color came off of what side.....replace them in the same order.

No need for any lean spacer UNLESS ur truck is already suffering a lean.

Also, pls make sure u have the spring perch set correctly.... the convex part faces UP. When its set onto the circlip/snapring u should NOT see it (the clip)from the bottom, it should be overlapped by the spring perch
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Jefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Ryan
Jefferson10's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning on doing this same setup. Any luck with the install an no lean?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
D.Robb is on a distinguished road

Name: D-Robb
D.Robb's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

5100s at 1.75....rear leaf tsb.......no lean
Attached Thumbnails
billy 5100's and taco lean-tacoma-wtsb.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
i don't seem to have any lean either, not that i can see anyway, i couldn't be bothered to measure.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Jefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of lightJefferson10 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoids View Post
i don't seem to have any lean either, not that i can see anyway, i couldn't be bothered to measure. i think this site makes people think and worry about things that they never ever would have even known about unless they were on here.
I think you may be right with that one. There's so many different options and opinions, for someone who's relatively new to the whole "mod" thing, you can get lost really quick. As for the TSB, that's the rear spring harsh ride yeah?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #19

P.S. Both trucks look good.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson10 View Post
I think you may be right with that one. There's so many different options and opinions, for someone who's relatively new to the whole "mod" thing, you can get lost really quick. As for the TSB, that's the rear spring harsh ride yeah?
thanks. i do think that happens on here but i removed that part of my post becaue there is also a ton of useful info/help on here. i definately have found myself worrying about things that i never would have ever known about if i wasn't on tw, but probably have found more positive info.

i don't actually have the tsb, my truck came stock with the 4 leafs, i do have 1" blocks in the back that i can't even tell are there, ride is perfect.