Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Big difference:885 & OME's vs. Toytech Coilovers

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Big difference:885 & OME's vs. Toytech Coilovers

So i have been saving up to get my toytech coilovers up front. But i have noticed that many are running the coil lifts with OME shocks up front. From what I hear the OME setup is wonderful. And the only advantage the coilovers have is being adjustible...at least thats what I'm gathering. Is being adjustable really that much better?

The coilovers are about $220 more than the OME setup would be.

So what should I do!?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that seems to be what majority is doing.i went with the fox 2.0 co and love them.the best thing other than being able to adj. height is i can adj. my ride comfort by a click of a thumb knob.settings 1 thru 8,1 being like a caddy ride to 8 like old school f250.and they r rebuildable,never have to buy front shocks again.and they look awsome under the fender well.lots of comments/questions from people to.i guess its all about what for wheeling u do(i dont do much with mine,tow rig for jeep)and how much coin u wanna put out.well good luck on your choice.later
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The OME springs are very similar to the springs used on the adjustable Bilstien set up. The main differances are the OME springs are a 590# spring rate, while the Eibach springs on the Bilstiens are a 600# rate. With an OME spring and shock set up, the OME shocks hold more oil than the 5100's, so they will stay cooler longer, and as they are a lower psi nitrogen charge, the OME shocks should be more compliant on smaller hits.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The OME springs are very similar to the springs used on the adjustable Bilstien set up. The main differances are the OME springs are a 590# spring rate, while the Eibach springs on the Bilstiens are a 600# rate. With an OME spring and shock set up, the OME shocks hold more oil than the 5100's, so they will stay cooler longer, and as they are a lower psi nitrogen charge, the OME shocks should be more compliant on smaller hits.
You get me so hot talking like that.

I don't know- But Chris has convinced me that OME is the way to go. The OME shocks sound like a better set up...and without going to a reservoir/adjustable type- you are just going to be trading off one benefit for another.

The coilovers being adjustable is nice- but if you are sure you want a 3 inch lift- Why adjust anything?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
IB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura about
IB Slingin's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity, whenever you adjust coilovers, does it throw the alignment off?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
coilovers= maintenence, adjustments, rebuilds, noise...

OME= never have to think about it again.

I had coilovers, now I run OME. The only thing I'd put coilovers on is a desert truck. There may be a slight improvement in coilovers over a straight coil over shock setup, but for the extra money and headache, it's not worth it to me.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Slingin View Post
Out of curiosity, whenever you adjust coilovers, does it throw the alignment off?
Yes.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
You get me so hot talking like that.

I don't know- But Chris has convinced me that OME is the way to go. The OME shocks sound like a better set up...and without going to a reservoir/adjustable type- you are just going to be trading off one benefit for another.

The coilovers being adjustable is nice- but if you are sure you want a 3 inch lift- Why adjust anything?
b/c coils sag. All coils sag. And some folks want to be able to re-crank them to get their height back...even though after they start to sag, you'll never get that spring rate back, you just end up making the ride more and more harsh by cranking the spanner nut.

But, to me, it's like having a huge stereo system in your ride with electronic x-overs and a lot of amps. Seems like you're constantly screwing with it to make it "just right" instead of using it to actually enjoy music. Same with adjustable coils. Every morning you walk out to your rig and you catch yourself trying to guesstimate sag and whether or not you should jack it up and adjust them. Same after evry wheeling trip. I found that my head was constantly under the front wheel well with coilovers, and it's a lot less to worry about with the OME setup.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Another thing to consider about the OME springs: Since OME has started scragging their springs, they are less likely to sag, than other spring manufactures, i.e. Eibach.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
bill must of had some bad c/o before or something.i dont/havent done anything he said above and my foxs r fine.havent heard of anybody else either.once there set,there set.sorry bill not bashing you or anything.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
bill must of had some bad c/o before or something.i dont/havent done anything he said above and my foxs r fine.havent heard of anybody else either.once there set,there set.sorry bill not bashing you or anything.
I hear all the time of people readjusting their coilovers, and/or haveing/needing them rebuilt. Not saying they are not a good choice for a suspension, just saying that, For me, they are not worth the added maintenance. They dont do anything the OME suspension doesnt do, except for the ability to have them adjusted. And, as mentioned above, the springs WILL sag, and you will find yourself chaseing the sag with extra preload.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
It's possible. How long have your coils been on your truck? Do you wheel yours like I wheel mine, or are your coils just for lift?

And another question...what do you plan to do with your truck while your shocks are being rebuilt?

If the OP is building a street queen, then I'd say a high-dollar set of coilovers are the ticket.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
They dont do anything the OME suspension doesnt do, except for the ability to have them adjusted.
Not true. They shine like a new, blingy penny.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
GAH! I forgot about that.

And they deteriorate in salty conditions.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I love my OME shocks, however I noticed the other day after some 4 wheeling that my passenger front shock is leaking, oil all over it. I think its been that way for a bit, gonna have to take it in and see if its warranty? I think there is 3 year on those shocks? Chris or anyone else with OME 885 and OME shocks, do you have limiting straps? The reason I ask is a couple months ago when I was driving on some logging roads I noticed when going over some washboard the passenger side would bang sometimes, I'm thinking they were topping out and banging on the shock? Only ever noticed it on passenger side, could be why there leaking?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #18

Im not running limiting straps. The banging is interesting. Contact OME and they should replace them for ya.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
Banned
Yeah, the OME shocks are extended length, so they shouldn't be bottoming out...if they are.