1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big difference:885 & OME's vs. Toytech Coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jdkeller, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Feb 20, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    So i have been saving up to get my toytech coilovers up front. But i have noticed that many are running the coil lifts with OME shocks up front. From what I hear the OME setup is wonderful. And the only advantage the coilovers have is being adjustible...at least thats what I'm gathering. Is being adjustable really that much better?

The coilovers are about $220 more than the OME setup would be.

So what should I do!?

2. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    yeah that seems to be what majority is doing.i went with the fox 2.0 co and love them.the best thing other than being able to adj. height is i can adj. my ride comfort by a click of a thumb knob.settings 1 thru 8,1 being like a caddy ride to 8 like old school f250.and they r rebuildable,never have to buy front shocks again.and they look awsome under the fender well.lots of comments/questions from people to.i guess its all about what for wheeling u do(i dont do much with mine,tow rig for jeep)and how much coin u wanna put out.well good luck on your choice.later

3. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The OME springs are very similar to the springs used on the adjustable Bilstien set up. The main differances are the OME springs are a 590# spring rate, while the Eibach springs on the Bilstiens are a 600# rate. With an OME spring and shock set up, the OME shocks hold more oil than the 5100's, so they will stay cooler longer, and as they are a lower psi nitrogen charge, the OME shocks should be more compliant on smaller hits.

4. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You get me so hot talking like that.

I don't know- But Chris has convinced me that OME is the way to go. The OME shocks sound like a better set up...and without going to a reservoir/adjustable type- you are just going to be trading off one benefit for another.

The coilovers being adjustable is nice- but if you are sure you want a 3 inch lift- Why adjust anything?

5. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    OME = Sex :thumbsup:

6. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:54 AM
    IB Slingin

IB Slingin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Out of curiosity, whenever you adjust coilovers, does it throw the alignment off?

7. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Ohio
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    modified for light trail use
    coilovers= maintenence, adjustments, rebuilds, noise...

OME= never have to think about it again.

I had coilovers, now I run OME. The only thing I'd put coilovers on is a desert truck. There may be a slight improvement in coilovers over a straight coil over shock setup, but for the extra money and headache, it's not worth it to me.

8. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Yes.

9. Feb 21, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    b/c coils sag. All coils sag. And some folks want to be able to re-crank them to get their height back...even though after they start to sag, you'll never get that spring rate back, you just end up making the ride more and more harsh by cranking the spanner nut.

But, to me, it's like having a huge stereo system in your ride with electronic x-overs and a lot of amps. Seems like you're constantly screwing with it to make it "just right" instead of using it to actually enjoy music. Same with adjustable coils. Every morning you walk out to your rig and you catch yourself trying to guesstimate sag and whether or not you should jack it up and adjust them. Same after evry wheeling trip. I found that my head was constantly under the front wheel well with coilovers, and it's a lot less to worry about with the OME setup.

10. Feb 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Another thing to consider about the OME springs: Since OME has started scragging their springs, they are less likely to sag, than other spring manufactures, i.e. Eibach.

11. Feb 21, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    bill must of had some bad c/o before or something.i dont/havent done anything he said above and my foxs r fine.havent heard of anybody else either.once there set,there set.sorry bill not bashing you or anything.

12. Feb 21, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I hear all the time of people readjusting their coilovers, and/or haveing/needing them rebuilt. Not saying they are not a good choice for a suspension, just saying that, For me, they are not worth the added maintenance. They dont do anything the OME suspension doesnt do, except for the ability to have them adjusted. And, as mentioned above, the springs WILL sag, and you will find yourself chaseing the sag with extra preload.

13. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    It's possible. How long have your coils been on your truck? Do you wheel yours like I wheel mine, or are your coils just for lift?

And another question...what do you plan to do with your truck while your shocks are being rebuilt?

If the OP is building a street queen, then I'd say a high-dollar set of coilovers are the ticket.

14. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Not true. They shine like a new, blingy penny.:D

15. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :laugh:

16. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    GAH! I forgot about that. :(

And they deteriorate in salty conditions. ;)

17. Feb 21, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love my OME shocks, however I noticed the other day after some 4 wheeling that my passenger front shock is leaking, oil all over it. I think its been that way for a bit, gonna have to take it in and see if its warranty? I think there is 3 year on those shocks? Chris or anyone else with OME 885 and OME shocks, do you have limiting straps? The reason I ask is a couple months ago when I was driving on some logging roads I noticed when going over some washboard the passenger side would bang sometimes, I'm thinking they were topping out and banging on the shock? Only ever noticed it on passenger side, could be why there leaking?

18. Feb 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Im not running limiting straps. The banging is interesting. Contact OME and they should replace them for ya.

19. Feb 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    Yeah, the OME shocks are extended length, so they shouldn't be bottoming out...if they are.

20. Feb 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Im starting to lean to the ome setup now! Well at least ill save a little money for other mods. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top