Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

shock replacement?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
shock replacement?

With 120,000 miles on my 06 prerunner, do I need to replace my factory shocks? I'm replacing the tires in a month. Without towing my trailer the front end seams to bounce a little when I hit a pot hole with one wheel. I use a WDH when towing and the front end doesn't bounce as much.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
If you get on the bumper and manually bounce the truck, you can see how bad your shocks are. My guess is that, having cycled them over the course of 120k miles, you probably due. Personally, I run bilstein 5100 shocks and love them but everyone on here has their own opinion as to which shocks they like best.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Get a set of 5100's front and rear and level the front out by setting it at 1.75" and call it good.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
notmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shednotmuch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
notmuch's Tacoma Gallery
Had my shocks replaced yesterday...

After recently finding a super deal on a 2002 TRD with only 83k miles on it, I became concerned over the sloppy ride quality and wondered if the truck wasn't such a "deal" after all. I focused on the suspension as a possible easy fix and decided to try the Bilstein shocks that are frequently mentioned on this forum. Being realistic about my actual needs, the 4600's appeared to be my best choice. It was interesting to find that some auto part catalogs refer to this line of Bilsteins as "HD" rather than "4600". Either name seemed to be the same physical item. Perhaps they are just re-branding the item for marketing purposes. I had the new suspension components installed yesterday and the improved handling and stability was immediately apparent. Very good investment at this point in my vehicle ownership. Glad I didn't wait. Now I can focus on new tire selection without trying to make that choice be predominantly to address ride quality. If only ever problem could be fixed so easily. So far, this has been a "silver bullet" solution. No, wait. The Bilstein 5100's are silver. My fix has been the "blue / yellow bullet" variety. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch View Post
After recently finding a super deal on a 2002 TRD with only 83k miles on it, I became concerned over the sloppy ride quality and wondered if the truck wasn't such a "deal" after all. I focused on the suspension as a possible easy fix and decided to try the Bilstein shocks that are frequently mentioned on this forum. Being realistic about my actual needs, the 4600's appeared to be my best choice. It was interesting to find that some auto part catalogs refer to this line of Bilsteins as "HD" rather than "4600". Either name seemed to be the same physical item. Perhaps they are just re-branding the item for marketing purposes. I had the new suspension components installed yesterday and the improved handling and stability was immediately apparent. Very good investment at this point in my vehicle ownership. Glad I didn't wait. Now I can focus on new tire selection without trying to make that choice be predominantly to address ride quality. If only ever problem could be fixed so easily. So far, this has been a "silver bullet" solution. No, wait. The Bilstein 5100's are silver. My fix has been the "blue / yellow bullet" variety. Good luck.
I too were looking at the 4600, wanting a better highway ride than off-road preformance. Is this correct to use 4600's ? I thought 5100's are for offroad.