1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shock replacement?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by campthewestcoast, May 15, 2013.

1. May 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast [OP] Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    With 120,000 miles on my 06 prerunner, do I need to replace my factory shocks? I'm replacing the tires in a month. Without towing my trailer the front end seams to bounce a little when I hit a pot hole with one wheel. I use a WDH when towing and the front end doesn't bounce as much.

2. May 16, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    If you get on the bumper and manually bounce the truck, you can see how bad your shocks are. My guess is that, having cycled them over the course of 120k miles, you probably due. Personally, I run bilstein 5100 shocks and love them but everyone on here has their own opinion as to which shocks they like best.

3. May 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Get a set of 5100's front and rear and level the front out by setting it at 1.75" and call it good.

4. May 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    notmuch

notmuch New Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun Xtra TRD
    After recently finding a super deal on a 2002 TRD with only 83k miles on it, I became concerned over the sloppy ride quality and wondered if the truck wasn't such a "deal" after all. I focused on the suspension as a possible easy fix and decided to try the Bilstein shocks that are frequently mentioned on this forum. Being realistic about my actual needs, the 4600's appeared to be my best choice. It was interesting to find that some auto part catalogs refer to this line of Bilsteins as "HD" rather than "4600". Either name seemed to be the same physical item. Perhaps they are just re-branding the item for marketing purposes. I had the new suspension components installed yesterday and the improved handling and stability was immediately apparent. Very good investment at this point in my vehicle ownership. Glad I didn't wait. Now I can focus on new tire selection without trying to make that choice be predominantly to address ride quality. If only ever problem could be fixed so easily. So far, this has been a "silver bullet" solution. No, wait. The Bilstein 5100's are silver. My fix has been the "blue / yellow bullet" variety. Good luck.

5. May 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast [OP] Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    I too were looking at the 4600, wanting a better highway ride than off-road preformance. Is this correct to use 4600's ? I thought 5100's are for offroad.

Products Discussed in

To Top