Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Harsh ride quality from Old Man Emu lift

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Dr.TunaTaco is on a distinguished road
Dr.TunaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Harsh ride quality from Old Man Emu lift

I have a 2012 TxPro double cab. Got the lift installed on my truck about 10,000 miles ago and figured it would settle down after that but still seems to be really harsh ride was wondering if any of guys would know of a better strut set up to improve ride and overall performance

truck has Old Man Emu 4" lift springs and struts front and Old Man Emu struts with Dakar leaf springs in the rear. no control arms yet but will soon.

Anyone have any suggestions or feed back?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.TunaTaco View Post
I have a 2012 TxPro double cab. Got the lift installed on my truck about 10,000 miles ago and figured it would settle down after that but still seems to be really harsh ride was wondering if any of guys would know of a better strut set up to improve ride and overall performance

truck has Old Man Emu 4" lift springs and struts front and Old Man Emu struts with Dakar leaf springs in the rear. no control arms yet but will soon.

Anyone have any suggestions or feed back?
OME makes a 4" lift?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What springs did you get, 885 or 886?

Either way, it will ride stiffer than stock... OME coils have a higher spring rate than stock and you're replacing a 3 leaf pack with a 7 leaf pack, it will ride stiffer. What load range are your tires?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
OME makes a 4" lift?
X2
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
886 w/o armour?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
which springs did you get?

I'm not familiar with a 4" OME lift. I'm guessing you got the 886x springs and don't have any extra weight up front. Also, that much lift will throw out your alignment.

add weight up front or get softer springs and get the light racing upper control arms.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
886 w/o armour?
886 + top plate spacer ?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
886 + top plate spacer ?
that's what my money is on.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
886 + top plate spacer ?
yea thats what im thinking. and yea all of the upgraded suspension is going to be stiffer than stock, but thats what you gotta do.
you gotta risk it for the biscuit...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Need to provide more information OP.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
I have the 885 with no armor and im running the goodyear duratrac 285 75 16 with d load range the 8 ply. have no top spacers in front
Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
its oem 3" * lift
Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the 885 with no armor and im running the goodyear duratrac 285 75 16 with d load range the 8 ply. have no top spacers in front
If you're unhappy with the stiffness of that set up maybe ICONs may offer a smoother ride
Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Bush Pusher

This is a common lift around TW. I have only ever heard praise thrown at it. I run what should be a stiffer suspension and find it quite smooth and preferable to stock. Did you just switch from a P rated to a D rated LT as well? This in combination with high tire psi could be a problem.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
I run 37 psi In the tires and I do like the ride its seems super rough over sharp dips or pot holes. does ride better then stock other than barely wandering on the highway which I know the total Kaos upper control arms will fix. just seen a couple of guys rolling with the kings up front and fox rears and was wondering if that could be an option with my lift
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You went with a higher spring rate than stock and D-rated tires for a light truck, it's going to ride stiffer... A rebuildable shock might make it feel a little better if you can get them setup properly for the way you drive but it'll be a lot more money than your OME setup.

Quote:
I run 37 psi In the tires and I do like the ride its seems super rough over sharp dips or pot holes. does ride better then stock other than barely wandering on the highway which I know the total Kaos upper control arms will fix. just seen a couple of guys rolling with the kings up front and fox rears and was wondering if that could be an option with my lift
King and Fox products would be an option for your lift. A King or Fox coilover would replace your OME front coilover and you could run King or Fox rear shocks in place of the Nitrocharger rear shocks. It'll work, just depends on whether or not you have the coin to do it.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
thanks for the info guys. do you think even running a little lower tire pressure would be alright. and what your opinion on upper and lower control arms