1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URGENT GELP NEEDED FOR READY LIFT SPACER

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tacomathunder, May 17, 2013.

1. May 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    It says to rotate the top of the strut 120 degrees, how do I do that? Is it easier then I'm making it seem?

2. May 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm here to gelp :)

I'm assuming the top of the strut bolts to the spacer, then the spacer bolts to the coil bucket on the frame, right? What they mean is you have to twist the top of the strut just to make everything line up since the bolts for the strut need to be staggered from the bolts on the top plate. It shouldn't fit together any other way.

3. May 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    Lol whoops typo, but you mean where the bolts are is where I have to twist? Or the bottom of the strut where it bolts to the LCA ?

4. May 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Twist the top, where the bolts are.

What kind of top plate do you have? I'm assuming you have one like this (the top strut)
    images_3c1eaf02642224cabec999b30ee16207e84eaa36.jpg
    What happens is you unbolt the 3 bolts from the coil bucket, twist the top, install the spacer, then stuff the spacer's bolts through the coil bucket (notice on the top strut how the strut's bolts are offset from the spacer's bolts)

5. May 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    Ok, but how exactly do I twist it? Do I loosen the middle bolt or what? Cuz I try to twist and the spring bows while I do that

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  6. May 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368816412.106080.jpgThats what it looks like

7. May 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    DO NOT LOOSEN THE MIDDLE NUT! The middle nut is what is keeping the tension on the spring. If you pop that sucker off without having the siring in a compressor, it will shoot the strut one way and the top plate another direction, both with a great deal of force.

If you can't twist it by hand, you might have to rent a spring compressor to take the tension off the spring. I would have thought that if you put the bottom into the LCA with the bolt through it that you could twist the top plate by hand but I've never installed one of those top plate spacers, that's just what I'd do.

8. May 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    This is frustrating lol, I always see people doing the lifts no problem... The directions aren't clear on what to do

9. May 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    With the base of the strut in that vice, if you can't twist the top plate then you should get a spring compressor to take the pressure off of the plate so you can twist it. I'm assuming your spacer looks like the one I posted, right? If you just throw the top plate on there, when you go to put it back on the truck, the bolts from the top plate won't match the holes in the coil bucket.

10. May 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
  11. May 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    Yeah I saw that... I just wish there was a disclaimer in the directions so I would have got one before I removed everything

12. May 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I hear ya, that's why I went with a preassembled coilover, I hate messing with spring compressors. Those things suck! So that top plate won't twist on the coil because of the pressure being applied from the spring?

13. May 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    I'm assuming so... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368817479.715716.jpg that's what it looks like, oh and don't mind my osha approved shoes :p

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  14. May 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Ratchet strap , C Clamp vice grips if you have some all thread rod and some thick angle to pieces of all thread two pieces of angle drill for all thread and EVENLY tighten down the running nuts on the all thread just enough to ease the compression etc JUST BE SAFE!!!! Or you can be or go to the local parts store and rent one if you can. I have done the ratchet strap, clamp welders vice grips and the all thread all need some serious care but sadly at the time of the evening every one occurred it was the car had to move in the am and rental places weren't open nor did I know anyone who had one. Perhaps take them to a shop and pay them to rotate them again though that requires another set of wheels. JUST BE SAFE!!!!! Or you can call Chris4x4 and his magic safety toe flip flops to step on them for you lol :} ( Sorry Chris I had to it was there for the taking :}))

Cypher

15. May 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I hate to say it but a spring compressor might be your best bet. It'll take the pressure off the plate so you can twist it, install your new spacer and put everything back together.

16. May 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    god damnit im getting pissed off now, ive tried everything... now i gotta wait on my friend to get off work, cuz i dont have a ride to go get the spring compressor, it really should have been in the directions :mad:

17. May 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    So I was trying to move the plate more and the whole spring moved... That's not ideal correct? Because the end of the spring at the bottom was sitting on the bottom plate a a position where the very end of the spring was covered in a Seated location

18. May 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    when I installed my spacer kit you did not need to twist anything. I think what they are saying is you rotate the entire strut around. This is because the bolts on the strut have to be staggered to clear the spacer. Thus the spacer bolts are in a different location. I really see no need for a spring compressor although I could be wrong.

19. May 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    Jakes09taco

Jakes09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Buckhannon, WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCSB
    6" BDS lift
    Bolt the spacer to the top of the strut then you put it back on to where the top studs line up with the factory holes. All your doing is turning the whole assembled strut not the top or anything else. Once you bolt the spacer on. It will only go back in one way just turn the entire assembled strut, with the spacer on it until the top studs line up and you control arm mount lines up.

20. May 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    There is a brake line mount that will be in the incorrect position if I just rotate the whole assembly around though

Products Discussed in

To Top