Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

URGENT GELP NEEDED FOR READY LIFT SPACER

Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
URGENT GELP NEEDED FOR READY LIFT SPACER

It says to rotate the top of the strut 120 degrees, how do I do that? Is it easier then I'm making it seem?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm here to gelp

I'm assuming the top of the strut bolts to the spacer, then the spacer bolts to the coil bucket on the frame, right? What they mean is you have to twist the top of the strut just to make everything line up since the bolts for the strut need to be staggered from the bolts on the top plate. It shouldn't fit together any other way.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lol whoops typo, but you mean where the bolts are is where I have to twist? Or the bottom of the strut where it bolts to the LCA ?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
Lol whoops typo, but you mean where the bolts are is where I have to twist? Or the bottom of the strut where it bolts to the LCA ?
Twist the top, where the bolts are.

What kind of top plate do you have? I'm assuming you have one like this (the top strut)

What happens is you unbolt the 3 bolts from the coil bucket, twist the top, install the spacer, then stuff the spacer's bolts through the coil bucket (notice on the top strut how the strut's bolts are offset from the spacer's bolts)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Twist the top, where the bolts are.

What kind of top plate do you have? I'm assuming you have one like this (the top strut)

What happens is you unbolt the 3 bolts from the coil bucket, twist the top, install the spacer, then stuff the spacer's bolts through the coil bucket (notice on the top strut how the strut's bolts are offset from the spacer's bolts)
Ok, but how exactly do I twist it? Do I loosen the middle bolt or what? Cuz I try to twist and the spring bows while I do that
Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, but how exactly do I twist it? Do I loosen the middle bolt or what?
DO NOT LOOSEN THE MIDDLE NUT! The middle nut is what is keeping the tension on the spring. If you pop that sucker off without having the siring in a compressor, it will shoot the strut one way and the top plate another direction, both with a great deal of force.

If you can't twist it by hand, you might have to rent a spring compressor to take the tension off the spring. I would have thought that if you put the bottom into the LCA with the bolt through it that you could twist the top plate by hand but I've never installed one of those top plate spacers, that's just what I'd do.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
DO NOT LOOSEN THE MIDDLE NUT! The middle nut is what is keeping the tension on the spring. If you pop that sucker off without having the siring in a compressor, it will shoot the strut one way and the top plate another direction, both with a great deal of force.

If you can't twist it by hand, you might have to rent a spring compressor to take the tension off the spring. I would have thought that if you put the bottom into the LCA with the bolt through it that you could twist the top plate by hand but I've never installed one of those top plate spacers, that's just what I'd do.
This is frustrating lol, I always see people doing the lifts no problem... The directions aren't clear on what to do
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is frustrating lol, I always see people doing the lifts no problem... The directions aren't clear on what to do
With the base of the strut in that vice, if you can't twist the top plate then you should get a spring compressor to take the pressure off of the plate so you can twist it. I'm assuming your spacer looks like the one I posted, right? If you just throw the top plate on there, when you go to put it back on the truck, the bolts from the top plate won't match the holes in the coil bucket.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
With the base of the strut in that vice, if you can't twist the top plate then you should get a spring compressor to take the pressure off of the plate so you can twist it. I'm assuming your spacer looks like the one I posted, right? If you just throw the top plate on there, when you go to put it back on the truck, the bolts from the top plate won't match the holes in the coil bucket.
Yeah I saw that... I just wish there was a disclaimer in the directions so I would have got one before I removed everything
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I saw that... I just wish there was a disclaimer in the directions so I would have got one before I removed everything
I hear ya, that's why I went with a preassembled coilover, I hate messing with spring compressors. Those things suck! So that top plate won't twist on the coil because of the pressure being applied from the spring?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I hear ya, that's why I went with a preassembled coilover, I hate messing with spring compressors. Those things suck! So that top plate won't twist on the coil because of the pressure being applied from the spring?
I'm assuming so... URGENT GELP NEEDED FOR READY LIFT SPACER-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368817479.715716.jpg that's what it looks like, oh and don't mind my osha approved shoes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ratchet strap , C Clamp vice grips if you have some all thread rod and some thick angle to pieces of all thread two pieces of angle drill for all thread and EVENLY tighten down the running nuts on the all thread just enough to ease the compression etc JUST BE SAFE!!!! Or you can be or go to the local parts store and rent one if you can. I have done the ratchet strap, clamp welders vice grips and the all thread all need some serious care but sadly at the time of the evening every one occurred it was the car had to move in the am and rental places weren't open nor did I know anyone who had one. Perhaps take them to a shop and pay them to rotate them again though that requires another set of wheels. JUST BE SAFE!!!!! Or you can call Chris4x4 and his magic safety toe flip flops to step on them for you lol :} ( Sorry Chris I had to it was there for the taking :}))

Cypher
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to say it but a spring compressor might be your best bet. It'll take the pressure off the plate so you can twist it, install your new spacer and put everything back together.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #16

god damnit im getting pissed off now, ive tried everything... now i gotta wait on my friend to get off work, cuz i dont have a ride to go get the spring compressor, it really should have been in the directions
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #17

So I was trying to move the plate more and the whole spring moved... That's not ideal correct? Because the end of the spring at the bottom was sitting on the bottom plate a a position where the very end of the spring was covered in a Seated location
Old 05-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
when I installed my spacer kit you did not need to twist anything. I think what they are saying is you rotate the entire strut around. This is because the bolts on the strut have to be staggered to clear the spacer. Thus the spacer bolts are in a different location. I really see no need for a spring compressor although I could be wrong.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Jakes09taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Jakes09taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bolt the spacer to the top of the strut then you put it back on to where the top studs line up with the factory holes. All your doing is turning the whole assembled strut not the top or anything else. Once you bolt the spacer on. It will only go back in one way just turn the entire assembled strut, with the spacer on it until the top studs line up and you control arm mount lines up.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #20

There is a brake line mount that will be in the incorrect position if I just rotate the whole assembly around though