Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
gmata is on a distinguished road
Air Force: C-17 Aircrew
Name: Gonzalo
gmata's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment Question

Hello guys,

I have a quick question.

I have a 2007 4x4 V6 DCab Tacoma with a Pro Comp 3 inch lift.

I was having some alignment problems and I decided to get after market UCA.

I bought the Light Racing UCA and installed them. I took my truck to get it aligned using a computer and this are the numbers i got.

Camber Left Right
0°31' 0°10'
Total 0°21'

Caster 0°33' 1°16'

Total -0°43'

I am little concerned with the Caster since the specs are 1.3 to 2.8 and I have .33 at the left wheel.

However the technician assured me that this settings would not worn my tires and the truck is actually driving straight with this settings.

Should I be concerned about that or should i leave it like that.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
Caster in and of itself does not cause tire wear. Caster affects toe as the more caster a vehicle has, the more the wheels tend to toe in. For this reason insufficient or excess caster can cause toe wear, even though toe is set to specification.

So it just depends on other factors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. I wouldn't worry about it but I would keep an eye on tire wear.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
You got the LR UCA's to get your alignment more in spec after the lift, as they are adjustable. Bring it back and get it within the factory ranges. Preferably higher caster, it will make the truck less jumpy while on the road.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Yea that tech doesn't know what he is doing. I set these trucks with lifts and bigger more aggressive tires caster in the 3-3.5 range. He should be able to get the camber to 0 degrees. I'm; sure that truck likes to wander all over the road. I know it wants to pull left some. The numbers say it will. I would check all your tires pressures too to make sure he didn't set them to make it act like it was driving ok.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Dano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Dano.oh's Tacoma Gallery
I had an alignment done on my 2013 Taco after installing a Toytec Ultimate lift but am having some "bump steer" problems. I was originally looking into a steering stabilizer but after reading a few posts on the subject, it seems like that is not really a good solution nor is it really my problem.

The alignment was done to factory specs, (see image) but it seems like with a lift I want to go:

0* camber
0* toe
2.6-2.8* caster

Do the numbers above seem accurate? Im assuming these numbers are for left and right tires individually and not cross camber/caster right?

I now have 285/75R16 tires installed. When the alignment was done the tires were stock.

Any insight you may have is helpful, im getting a little annoyed with the "loose" and "jumpy" steering.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano.oh View Post
I had an alignment done on my 2013 Taco after installing a Toytec Ultimate lift but am having some "bump steer" problems. I was originally looking into a steering stabilizer but after reading a few posts on the subject, it seems like that is not really a good solution nor is it really my problem.

The alignment was done to factory specs, (see image) but it seems like with a lift I want to go:

0* camber
0* toe
2.6-2.8* caster

Do the numbers above seem accurate? Im assuming these numbers are for left and right tires individually and not cross camber/caster right?

I now have 285/75R16 tires installed. When the alignment was done the tires were stock.

Any insight you may have is helpful, im getting a little annoyed with the "loose" and "jumpy" steering.

Thanks

I would have your caster set higher, more in the 3.0 range. If you lift it you still want close to factory settings. I personally like more caster. Your camber is a little positive and will wear the outer shoulders of the tires. There should not be any bump steer.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Dano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud ofDano.oh has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Dano.oh's Tacoma Gallery
*Update*

Had my alignment re-done today. 0* camber, 0* toe, 3.0* caster. The taco handles like a champ! The loose feeling in the steering is completely gone and the "bump steer" problem I had is under control. Feels like factory now.