LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

drop bracket questions

Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
drop bracket questions

im not trying to stir the pot or open a heated debate on which better, or why; just looking for some useful answers or some insight.

just a brief overview. ive finally gave in to the peer pressure and decided on going drop bracket lol. as some of you may know i have a full icon setup with a dakar leaf pack in the rear. icon 3.5 extended travel coilovers, icon ucas, icon 2.5 smooth body rear shocks, dakar leaf pack w/extra overload leaf. i laid the money down on this setup because i didnt forsee me going higher than this...well things change. it might seem like im backtracking, but in reality i can re-use everything i have right now with the exception of my rear shocks. ive decided on going with the procomp basic kit. since im gonna drop the cash on this expense and i already have the means to. i want to go higher than the projected 6". the truck currently sits at 3.5" in the front and 5" in the rear. could i just use a 3" block in the rear and adjust the coilovers accordingly to get me to my desired height? i dont mind a little rake (ie: 7" front, 8" rear) to help the cv angles to stay at a more neutral angle. i bought the extended brake lines already. is there anything else i would need? my truck goes in on the 29th and im trying to get the small parts i may need before then. sorry so long but any help will be appreciated.

on a side note: i asked this in the 6" thread but got buried quick LOL. i saw a few stompin tacos still with the oem skid plate. i would like to utilize mine, even though its gonna do othing but sit pretty . does the oem skid still bolt up once you go drop bracket or do you have to fab it for it to fit?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Buck717 is on a distinguished road

Name: John
Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
Mine still fits as is, no fab. I have BDS 6 inch.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

buck: right on man, thanks for the info.

gonna bump my post for more answer and while im at it, i have another question. i noticed people saying that 17" wheels are the minimum wheel size to run with a drop bradket lift unless your running spacers. i was wondering if 16x10 with a -25mm (4.5") bs would be able to fit without spacers since its more aggressive than other wheels that would normally need the spacers for to clear. thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
billyrayaf is on a distinguished road
Air Force: currently in 5th security forces
Name: billy
billyrayaf's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 6 inch tuff country. i bought a 16x10 rim. went to slap em on and they hit tie rods. right now i have 17in rims and run a a huge spacer. i think 2.25in its huge and i rub everything tears the shit out of the truck. if i were you dont go 6 ruins trucks.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
blackhorse will become famous soon enoughblackhorse will become famous soon enough

Name: Rick
blackhorse's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 17"wheels with 2" wheel spacers on mine and 35x12.50 toyo m/ts and still rub frame on hard left turns...also have 3.5 fabtech sus/with 3"body lift now but looking at getting 6"fabtech sus to replace 3.5 soon!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

man fellas, you guys making me rethink my decision LOL. thank you though. this is the kind of answers im looking for. good, bad, i want it all.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You should long travel it instead...way more useful
Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #8

Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say it ruins trucks, you just gotta do it right, no offense to anyone.

I only know about my lift, again BDS 6 inch. That said I have 18x9 inch rims with 4.5 back spacing no spacer, XD Monsters, wrapped with 33x12.5 tires. I have no rubbing, not even on full compression with wheel turned. Ppl get rubbing because they try to ride on tires that are too big. If I went with 35s like they recommend I'd have rubbing.
Btw ill mention BDS has a no questions asked warranty, if a part brakes they replace it. I go wheeling at Rausch creek often and push the limits, it's strong trust me. On the other hand the bump stops that come with the kit are huge, I got some low pro ones from amazon, worth it.

drop bracket questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369026669.498398.jpg
drop bracket questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369026760.224590.jpgdrop bracket questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369026786.662648.jpg
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #9

you truck looks good man. honestly i was gonna stay with 33s. i WANTED to stay with a 16" wheel since i already have the tires (not even 300 miles on them) and was gonna get those 16x10s, but now i think ill just move up to 18x9 or 20x10. i really like the bfd wheels but the backspace is 5" and not too sure if they would clear or not.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 SiN View Post
you truck looks good man. honestly i was gonna stay with 33s. i WANTED to stay with a 16" wheel since i already have the tires (not even 300 miles on them) and was gonna get those 16x10s, but now i think ill just move up to 18x9 or 20x10.
Tysin I have NIB Spidertrax spacers & a 3" block LMK...btw missed u and you xB at the track today...
Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
Haaann
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
If your dead set on the 6"+ lift then go for it OP, I was in a similar situation to you.

BDS makes a decent kit(love mine) or go stg 1 any kit and swap full length C/O's/new rear springs(desired height) for a decent ride and very mild cv angles

Best of luck, Once you cut the x member theres no looking back without some fab work.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #12

Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you truck looks good man. honestly i was gonna stay with 33s. i WANTED to stay with a 16" wheel since i already have the tires (not even 300 miles on them) and was gonna get those 16x10s, but now i think ill just move up to 18x9 or 20x10.
Thanks man

My tires were still fairly new when I switched too. I sold them and the factory wheels on craigs list, so it wasn't a total loss.

Also keep in mind, you get what you pay for. If you buy some cheap ass lift, that's exactly what your gonna have. Cheaper to do it right the first time then to do it all over again a 2nd time.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Haaann
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck717 View Post
I wouldn't say it ruins trucks, you just gotta do it right, no offense to anyone.

On the other hand the bump stops that come with the kit are huge, I got some low pro ones from amazon, worth it.

X2 Nice truck!
BDS also comes with a skid

What front bumps did you buy btw??

Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #14

Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks black! And yes the skid plate is nice.

drop bracket questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369036283.351884.jpg

These ones

Though the ones they sent me were black not red, I don't really care.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #15

Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a pic of them installed

drop bracket questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369036863.996205.jpg

My bad on double post
Old 05-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #16
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you truck looks good man. honestly i was gonna stay with 33s. i WANTED to stay with a 16" wheel since i already have the tires (not even 300 miles on them) and was gonna get those 16x10s, but now i think ill just move up to 18x9 or 20x10. i really like the bfd wheels but the backspace is 5" and not too sure if they would clear or not.
Another option like the bds is the zone kit which the 2 are very similar. On the 4" and 6" they are the same bracketry just that the 6" they give you a small preload spacer that goes between the top of coil and top hat. Both have the same 4" spacer on top of the coil. I run the zone 4" and got the bilsteins up front set @ .85 and also changed my leaf pack so sitting at 5" front and 4" rear and also running 18 x 10 w 4.5 and 33's and no rubbing. I also did alot of research before going with this set up cause I didn't want to do any cab mount chop and I wanted to have the adjustability to go a lil higher if I wanted . I think 33's are a good fit for a 6" or 5" in my case.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #17

just a quick update. i was under the impression that i would be able to utilize my icon pieces with my new drop bracket lift, and i can...but i never took into account that the fronts would be using a strut spacer. thats the look that i was trying to avoid. i ended up ordering the icon 6" coilover with the 700# spring. i hae to order the rear 6" 2.5 body shock at adifferent time since the overall price is rising FAST LOL. so in reality, im replacing the icon setup with less rhan 300 miles on them. talk about backtracking!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Haaann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck717 View Post
Here's a pic of them installed

[/ATTACH]

My bad on double post
Nice thats what I should look at, the orig. bumps were to big imo

Quote:
I ended up ordering the icon 6" coilover with the 700# spring. i hae to order the rear 6" 2.5 body shock at adifferent time since the overall price is rising FAST LOL. so in reality, im replacing the icon setup with less rhan 300 miles on them. talk about backtracking!
Nice