Notices

Tuff Country Lift Removal, switch to Bilstein 5100's

Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Thetoolman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Thetoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Tuff Country Lift Removal, switch to Bilstein 5100's

Hey everybody,
I just joined this site, I've been creeping it for a lot of info regarding my truck and figured I should join up and ask some questions. My name is Tim and I live in Victoria, B.C.

I recently bought an 02 Tacoma (2WD, Prerunner, Double cab) that came with a crappy lift that the previous owner installed (Tuff Country) and after driving it for a while I got fed up with the terrible ride and bought some Bilstein 5100's. I dont want to keep the truck lifted, I want to put her back to stock height, except I want have it ride level. Here comes my question: What preset do I put on the struts to keep it riding level? They have 3 settings (didn't come with instructions, but from my creeping im guessing the settings are: 0, 1.75, 2.5)

More info:
Struts part # BE5-D558-T0
Shocks # BE5-D559-T0
BE5-D560-T0

Gap between rear tire and wheel well: 9.5"
Gap between front tire and wheel well: 9"

Truck has a canopy installed

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
They don't have the .85 inch setting for first gen tacos?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
That sounds like it would make more sense than 1.75" considering the distance between the presets. To be entirely honest I'm not sure though. The distance between the grooves is 9/16"
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
They don't have the .85 inch setting for first gen tacos?

or according to toytec

Quote:
D558--

Front ride Height / preload adjustable shocks

5100 series with silver / zinc plate finish

Settings for stock, 1.25" (for leveling) or 2.5" lift in one shock
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pic brock, I'd set it at the 1 inch setting that should be the closest for you...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Thanks fellas,
I'll post some pics when the work is done.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
ur welcome
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Did the install yesterday, after the struts settled down a bit the front is 1" higher than the rear. Damn... I guess the canopy does factor in quite a bit of weight. Time to pull the struts and move the clip.