Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment issue... seized LCA bushings???

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment issue... seized LCA bushings???

I had my 5100's installed a couple of months ago along with an alignment. The spec sheet that I was giving showed all of the tolerances in the "green". I didn't pay much attention to it. Ever since it has always looked as if my front tires were tilted in (causing the outside edges to ware over time if it was an issue). Well over the past 2 months I've noticed very slight ware on the outside edges of the front tires.

I took my truck to a different pretty reputable alignment shop this morning and they said that the lower control arm bushings are seized so they were unable to adjust them. They didn't have a printout because they don't use the nicer machines that everybody uses these days. They use traditional methods to align vehicles.

Could their problem in aligning be from my lift alone and all I need is new UCA's?? I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
yup had to cut mine out
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Damn it man. Ill have to look at it further. What causes this? It's a 2010!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Spray them down really good, in behind by the bushing and all over with some HD Silicone spray. Do that every day for a week. Hopefully will work its way in there an loosen things up.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post
Damn it man. Ill have to look at it further. What causes this?
rust
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Just rust builds up between the cam sleeve and bushing. Mine's also a 2010 so it seems it does not take long for them to seize up under the right conditions. If they are, just make sure you use a good amount of anti-seize when reinstalling the new stuff to prevent it from happening again
Thanks. Did you have to do both the right and left side?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn it man. Ill have to look at it further. What causes this? It's a 2010!
The root cause of this is Toyota being really f-in lazy and doing anything they can to save a few pennies. This negligence leads to parts rusting together and having to get cut out rather than able to be adjusted like they were intended. Yes, I'm a little bitter because this is an easily avoided issue if Toyota could have been bothered to put a dab of grease or neverseize when things were put together
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. Did you have to do both the right and left side?
If you're still under warranty, I'd fight to make Toyota fix it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #11

Thanks for the support guys. Is there a way for me to see exactly which ones are seized before I have to rip each LCA off each side?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys. Is there a way for me to see exactly which ones are seized before I have to rip each LCA off each side?
You won't be able to turn the seized ones.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Loosen The bolts and try to turn them as stated above. I had all four of mine seized on my 2000 Tacoma. When I replaced them I slathered grease on the bolts and alignment cams and inside the bushings. No problems since and that was 2 years ago.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good luck with that, they took one look at my truck and knew I was and got denied
Well yeah, you have a little more work done than the average bear

Quote:
Loosen the main LCA bolt and try to rotate the larger one, if you can't rotate it then there is your problem

I had issue with mine, replacement takes a few hours
^^

Quote:
Try to spin the LCA bolts inside the bushings. Mark from the cam to the frame so you can set your alignment back to somewhat normal. If you can't spin the bolt inside the bushing, it's rusted together. Try Dan's method, spray with penetrating oil every day for a couple weeks and try to work them free. If they free up, great, if not, well get out your Sawzall and practice your 4 letter words
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm going to an alignment next week. Can I pull my alignment cams without taking out the lower control arm to put anti seize?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
So I'm going to an alignment next week. Can I pull my alignment cams without taking out the lower control arm to put anti seize?
If it's not seized, yes. You'll need to support the front end of the truck and make sure you're at full droop, mark the cam locations from the tab to the frame, pull the bolts, put neverseize on them, and reinstall everything. Do it one bolt at a time and you won't have to take the LCA off.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^^ What he said
If the cams aren't already seized. Mark them on the frame, loosen, pull it out, glob on the lube, slid them back in, realign the marks, and torque.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

absolutely sounds like its worth the effort. thanks guys
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
absolutely sounds like its worth the effort. thanks guys
First thing I did after the lift was installed and before the alignment shop. Truck only had 3k on it, but if you've ever had to deal with them being seized you'll never forget to lube first.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #20

yup im hoping they are not seized, the truck has been pretty good with rust so far. wish me luck.