Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Add a leaf what to choose ?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Chrisjf66 is on a distinguished road
Chrisjf66's Tacoma Gallery
Add a leaf what to choose ?

Ok so I was suppose to get my tacoma a week or two Ago but funds didnt allow that. I will be getting it by the end of the week and I'm going bilistein 5100 front and rear. But for rear idk which leaf to choose....

Wheelers 3 leaf 1.5inch
Toytec 1.5
Or
ICON 1.5?

Also knowing this if in correct so maxed out bilistein 2.5 inches added in front and 1 from bilistein in back and 1.5 from leaf to make 2.5?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You don't get lift with rear shocks, I'm not sure what you were trying to say there. As far as your AAL goes, the ICON progessive 3 leaf AAL has pretty good reviews and not as much squeaking.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Oh I could have swore the bilistein rear say 0-1.0" but ya I only hear great things about ICON stuff
Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjf66 View Post
Oh I could have swore the bilistein rear say 0-1.0" but ya I only hear great things about ICON stuff
They say that meaning that shock will work for a truck with 0-1" of rear lift.

Out of those 3 choices, I'd go with either the Icon or Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL (they are very similar). If you want more lift, leave the overload leaf in place and you'll actually gain 2" of lift instead of the advertised 1.5". I have the Icon 3-leaf and have been very happy with it so far.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Ya I'm going to go with the ICON thanks very much! Now for tire decisions
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Taco Shot
StreetTaco4Me is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
StreetTaco4Me's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking of something very similar...

5100s in front set at 1.75...Icon aal in rear for 1.5" lift there

my main question...do I need to get new rear shocks? they don't add to lift it feels like I would be spending an additional $165 or so for no reason...lmk if/why i should get rear shocks, please.

I plan to place 265/70/17 on my stock sport wheels

looking forward to the lift!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjf66 View Post
Ya I'm going to go with the ICON thanks very much! Now for tire decisions
What year and model is your truck? Short Bed, or Long Bed? Do you haul weight in the bed much?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetTaco4Me View Post
I am thinking of something very similar...

5100s in front set at 1.75...Icon aal in rear for 1.5" lift there

my main question...do I need to get new rear shocks? they don't add to lift it feels like I would be spending an additional $165 or so for no reason...lmk if/why i should get rear shocks, please.

I plan to place 265/70/17 on my stock sport wheels

looking forward to the lift!
If you have the TRD Bilstein shocks and they're in good shape, you could probably get away with running them for a while. The reason for getting new shocks is additional or better dampening abilities. The AAL essentially gives you a stiffer and stronger leaf pack and the stock shocks simply aren't made to dampen the stiffer springs. Running too weak of a shock could result in a poor ride and a bouncy rear end.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers is the same as ICON but made in America
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Wheelers is the same as ICON but made in America
The Wheeler's standard 3-leaf AAL is similar to the Icon one but they're not the same. Wheeler's also makes an HD version of the 3-leaf AAL.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The Wheeler's standard 3-leaf AAL is similar to the Icon one but they're not the same. Wheeler's also makes an HD version of the 3-leaf AAL.
Thats what I meant..
Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Thats what I meant..
I know, think of me as your translator
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
I know, think of me as your translator
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How are they not the same. Isn't it all just a 3 leaf AAL produced by deaver? Pretty sure this is the case, but I've been wrong a time or two
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Taco Shot
StreetTaco4Me is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
StreetTaco4Me's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have the TRD Bilstein shocks and they're in good shape, you could probably get away with running them for a while. The reason for getting new shocks is additional or better dampening abilities. The AAL essentially gives you a stiffer and stronger leaf pack and the stock shocks simply aren't made to dampen the stiffer springs. Running too weak of a shock could result in a poor ride and a bouncy rear end.
brand new Dbl cab Trd Sport short bed...I do not want a harsh ride...what do you think drop the extra $160 on rear 5100s or keep the stock TRD bilstiens?

also is an ICON progressive 3 leaf aal for around $200 or just a standard 1.5" single aal for around $80 (from toytec or headstrong) going to give me a better ride?

I will be running 265/70/17 P rated Rugged terrains on stock sport rims

I dont haul anything or carry extra weight in the bed
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
How are they not the same. Isn't it all just a 3 leaf AAL produced by deaver? Pretty sure this is the case, but I've been wrong a time or two
They're not both made by Deaver. Performance-wise, they will be very similar, they're competitively priced with one another but made by different spring companies. It's like comparing a Deaver leaf pack and an Alcan leaf pack built to the same specs. Also, Icon does not offer an HD version of their 3-leaf AAL like Wheeler's does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetTaco4Me View Post
brand new Dbl cab Trd Sport short bed...I do not want a harsh ride...what do you think drop the extra $160 on rear 5100s or keep the stock TRD bilstiens?

also is an ICON 3 leaf aal or just a standard 1.5" single aal going to give me a better ride

I dont haul anything or carry extra weight in the bed
Personally, I think the 3 leaf AAL's ride better than the single AALs. I'm very happy with the way mine rides and others with the same setup seem to like the ride also.

As far as the shocks, not sure what to tell you. You can try to run the stock shocks and see how they feel. If you like it, you saved yourself some money, if not, you'll end up buying new shocks to get the ride better controlled. You should know that running stock shocks with the AAL will wear out the shocks quicker so you will need to upgrade the shocks at some point regardless (might be a year or 2 out, depending on how you use your truck).
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I had Wheeler's 3 leaf progressive AAL with the OL left in and it was perfect for me. It did, however, squeak a bit on one side whenever it was wet out . . . for some people that would be horrifically annoying, others don't care at all, or somewhere in between.

But x2 on all the Icon or Wheeler's 3 leaf recommendations.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Personally, I think the 3 leaf AAL's ride better than the single AALs. I'm very happy with the way mine rides and others with the same setup seem to like the ride also.
X2
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I had Wheeler's 3 leaf progressive AAL with the OL left in and it was perfect for me. It did, however, squeak a bit on one side whenever it was wet out . . . for some people that would be horrifically annoying, others don't care at all, or somewhere in between.

But x2 on all the Icon or Wheeler's 3 leaf recommendations.
I greased in between each leaf, and also threw some along the contact point of the clamps and leaves, u bolts and leaves, and bushings.

No racket for over a year

Ymmv using different methods.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Ive seen the old tire tubes between each leaf done haha worked pretty good but I didn't want to take everything back apart and didn't mind the squeak.