Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift block 1... factory leaf springs 0

Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Lift block 1... factory leaf springs 0

Well it finally happened. My lil' old 1.25" lift block snapped a leaf spring in half on the right side of the truck after 60,000 miles (4 years). It's also shifted forward a few inches.

I see the aftermarket leafs are about $500-625 at Wheelers.

Anybody have any clue what the dealer would charge with install for a factory leaf pack replacement and U bolts?

I'm pressed for time and don't want to deal with mail ordering springs, then having to try to find somebody to put them in. I know its not rocket science but I have no place to do the work. So I'm thinking of just going factory again and leave the ass end stock height.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
OMFG! The dealership LOL!! Actually I was speechless as to the price of the factory springs. The labor was $312 which was totally fine with me but the factory springs EACH are more than any aftermarket SET I have seen WITH bushings and U bolts included.

Saved myself 50% ($1,000) in parts and labor and ordered a set of Old Man Emu leafs (suppose to be about 2 3/4" lift) and also some angle shim gizmo that is suppose to eliminate that annoying sound the driveline makes on the freeways in reg cabs that are lifted in the rear 1"+. I didn't want to go that high but beggers cant be choosers. Hopefully the shims do what they're suppose to or at least not be any louder than at 1.25" of lift.

2 grand!!! That is funny as hell. Guess they need to pay for all their recalls somehow.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
People sell factory leafs on here often and for cheap.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
60,000 miles (4 years)
Wow, you sure do put on a lot of miles lol
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Interweb wheeler
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
OMFG! The dealership LOL!! Actually I was speechless as to the price of the factory springs. The labor was $312 which was totally fine with me but the factory springs EACH are more than any aftermarket SET I have seen WITH bushings and U bolts included.

Saved myself 50% ($1,000) in parts and labor and ordered a set of Old Man Emu leafs (suppose to be about 2 3/4" lift) and also some angle shim gizmo that is suppose to eliminate that annoying sound the driveline makes on the freeways in reg cabs that are lifted in the rear 1"+. I didn't want to go that high but beggers cant be choosers. Hopefully the shims do what they're suppose to or at least not be any louder than at 1.25" of lift.

2 grand!!! That is funny as hell. Guess they need to pay for all their recalls somehow.
Pull the third leaf from the pack or the top overload to take off some height. The third leaf will drop it about an inch and the top overload will drop it about 5/8"
Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #6

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Pull the third leaf from the pack or the top overload to take off some height. The third leaf will drop it about an inch and the top overload will drop it about 5/8"

3rd leaf from the top or 3rd leaf from the bottom?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
I feel your pain. I had a 4" block with old saggy springs. Recently upgraded to custom deavers that cost 1000 bucks. Couldn't be happier with them. Get what you pay for with Deaver.
Before

After

Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't the Deavers the ones that have been going flat on people with any load ?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

From the research I've done, people have been super happy with deavers but you may be right. One of the few companies that will custom build a set for your rig. I hope they sag a little because it added quite a bit of lift to the rear end.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
From the research I've done, people have been super happy with deavers but you may be right. One of the few companies that will custom build a set for your rig. I hope they sag a little because it added quite a bit of lift to the rear end.
I remember Old Man Doug talking about them , I think they posted this vid

http://youtu.be/T553scxGcMQ
Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Aren't the Deavers the ones that have been going flat on people with any load ?

Deavers are a good spring, except for the J-66

They perform at or even slightly less than stock springs , at least thats what my experience with the sets I replaced, & I've seen them new to almost new on CL for half of what was originally the purchase price $$$

don't know what happened to that R&D, rest of Deavers are solid good springs
Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #13

haha. That dude was pretty cool. Not sure, Deaver is fairly reputable company and they wouldn't be in business if they didn't make solid shit. I didn't have a lot of options either way. I needed about 5-5.5" of lift and wanted to ditch the block. So even if they get saggy as shit it will be better than my stock leafs with a 4" block.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Deavers are a good spring, except for the J-66

They perform at or even slightly less than stock springs , at least thats what my experience with the sets I replaced, & I've seen them new to almost new on CL for half of what was originally the purchase price $$$

don't know what happened to that R&D, rest of Deavers are solid good springs
Thanks for the clarification Doug
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
& the guy jumping on those was the guy who bought them less than 3 months before this vid, sad as fuck when you can jump on it a couple times & have them slapping the concrete
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Not to mention the keepers hitting the frame and gas tank straps...LOL
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota really dropped the ball with their factory leaf springs. My co-worker just snapped one of his and it's just a commuter. His is a 2008 with around 80k miles on it, no lift, no off roading, just snapped. He was impatient so he paid Toyota to replace it. I didn't even ask him what it cost, didn't want to know. FWIW, I sold my old TSB leaf springs off for $35 to a local guy a couple years ago.