Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

SHOCKS! SHOCKS! SHOCKS! Can't find correct length.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Angry SHOCKS! SHOCKS! SHOCKS! Can't find correct length.

I've researched and researched. I've posted on a few existing treads. Still no good answer. I've installed Dakars w/aal (Allpro flip w/Timbren bumps) and replaced my shocks with Billy 5160's, the problem is they are over 3" to short on full extension. I know many will say run OME shocks, but the reality is these two shocks have almost identical specifications (5160=13.84"x23.23",OME=13.85"23.93").

I can't be the only guy running Dakars w/aal that has found this. I'm looking for options. Custom maybe? Who makes them? I'd like to hear what othersare running with my current setup. Any and all feedback appreciated!

Side note: Almost brand new 5160's will be for sale when I solve this...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
those b110 5100s maybe? 16.3"x 27.3"

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm
Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
procomp; 32551X 25.75extended 15.04compressed 10.71travel, mounting-Stem Loop 2.36

i plan to swap to these at some point, i currently run the sky jacker h7045 with my dakars on my reg cab tacoma, no add a leaf but we're probably very close in ride height due to truck variances. anyway my sky jackers are 24.75 extended and the extra inch will make a difference in those off road situations where only a tiny bit more makes the difference. i chose these because they were almost an inch longer than the ome's and less than half the price and am happy i did. the procomps run about 65-75 for a pair and for the money i think are worth a try. with my shocks my brake lines still have room to play, not much though but another inch should still be non issue. there is a thread somewhere that shows how a guy made a new mounting bracket for next to nothing to loosen up the lines at the axle. not sure if your lines are extended. i know you are looking for 3 inches more length but the two on this shock should put you in a good place. if you need more later at least this cost very little and gets you going.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
those b110 5100s maybe? 16.3"x 27.3"

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm
I looked at those, but my compressed is less than 16.3. I suppose I could modify my bump stops but...

I was hoping to find something with a reservoir. And would love to not modify bumps or shock mounts.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
procomp; 32551X 25.75extended 15.04compressed 10.71travel, mounting-Stem Loop 2.36

i plan to swap to these at some point, i currently run the sky jacker h7045 with my dakars on my reg cab tacoma, no add a leaf but we're probably very close in ride height due to truck variances. anyway my sky jackers are 24.75 extended and the extra inch will make a difference in those off road situations where only a tiny bit more makes the difference. i chose these because they were almost an inch longer than the ome's and less than half the price and am happy i did. the procomps run about 65-75 for a pair and for the money i think are worth a try. with my shocks my brake lines still have room to play, not much though but another inch should still be non issue. there is a thread somewhere that shows how a guy made a new mounting bracket for next to nothing to loosen up the lines at the axle. not sure if your lines are extended. i know you are looking for 3 inches more length but the two on this shock should put you in a good place. if you need more later at least this cost very little and gets you going.

I looked at the Pro Comps(and they would be much better by length), but really looking for reservoir shocks. I have Toytec extended brake lines so no issue there. I'd recommend them to you.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
my h7045's are 14.54 compressed and there are no issues running stock bump stops, the truck is wheeled and gets fully flexed and compressed. i am not worried to go the extra .5 for the procomps as there seems to be room to breathe on that, not sure exactly how much though but enough.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
cool, i'll be curious to see what else comes up in your search. the procomps might be cheaper in the states, i'm in canada, for 40-50 bucks might get you by for a while until you find something with reservoirs to beat on! had the procomps been available when i needed them i'd be running them now.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
one more just a bit longer, gets that extra 3 inches;

32651X 26.79 15.56 11.23 Stem Loop 2.36

i'll stop now since you may have already seen these..
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
one more just a bit longer, gets that extra 3 inches;

32651X 26.79 15.56 11.23 Stem Loop 2.36

i'll stop now since you may have already seen these..
Thanks for the Pro Comp info!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
i would cycle the rear and take measurements and get a shock to match.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #11

ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
i would cycle the rear and take measurements and get a shock to match.

I did cycle it and have some rough measurements, 15" compressed and 26+" extended. I say these are rough because they are static measurements.What I've been looking for an Icon, King, Fox, Bilstein, with a reservoir that will work with these measurements
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #12

ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Bump... still looking for resi options
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sure your either going to have to get longer bumps or move the mounting location if you want to run that long of a shock, id look on http://downsouthmotorsports.com/ and see if you can find anything close