Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I'm stupid. Need leaf spring 2nd gen help...

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I'm stupid. Need leaf spring 2nd gen help...

I bought a pair of brand new leaf springs off a 2012. I added a wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack to the springs and installed them today. Ride is amazing and fixed the problem of my shot 5 yeah old leafs. But now my alignment is off... Not sure how though?

The center pins are in the proper center hole on the axle, I put weight on the springs and tightened down the rear hangar like I believe i was supposed to. Basically my rear axle is 1/4 an inch maybe a bit less fwd on one side than the other? Steering wheel is slightly cocked down to the left side while driving on the freeway. Braking or not its still off a bit and pulls to the right.

The overload spring has a tapped hole for the e-brake mount. On the springs i picked up on craigslist the tapped hole was on the left side on both springs. Although I was under the impression that the springs for a 05+ are the same length so I wasn't worried... The ebrake now mounts to my wheelers pack so it wasn't an issue.

Are the 05+ springs the same length? Do i need to swap them if not? Did I just buy two left side springs from this fucker? FML, went from an easy $200 brand new leaf pack into a mess. Any help is welcome. No derp just help
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
You didn't put one of the leaf packs back on in the wrong direction did you? Measure to find out and please don't drive it like that.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
You didn't put one of the leaf packs back on in the wrong direction did you? Measure to find out and please don't drive it like that.
No... The second leaf that hangs down a bit is facing FWD on both sides. Checked that five times

Not driving it at all until I fix said issue btw
Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, I hope someone on here will help, Id jack the sucker up and remove the rear wheels and inspect every single thing spring related. You may have already done that though....
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Indeed lol i'm stumped
Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your problem jason.. Its odd that your front end allignment would be off. As for your rear axle being off. I believe mine was the same way. One side was a hair more foward then the other. But after i got my allignment done it drove great! I havent checked it since then... i could check to see if the axle is still off tomorrow if youde like. but Im glad you like the progressive AAL.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Well I don't think the front end is off at all... I check out the eccentrics and nothing moved. I think the rear is just tracking closer on one side than the other...
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense.. So you driver's side foward about a 1/4"... Ill check mine tomorrow bc i have the exact same setup and leaf packs.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
No passenger side is 1/4 more fwd
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
What do you mean "move freely". I can move one more fwd than the other but the default position is straight up and down. It's pretty thin metal there. I see where you are going and it's the same way I'm thinkin but why would one need to be further fwd than the other and which one should I move fwd?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
What do you mean "move freely". I can move one more fwd than the other but the default position is straight up and down. It's pretty thin metal there. I see where you are going and it's the same way I'm thinkin but why would one need to be further fwd than the other and which one should I move fwd?
I mean can they move when you flex the springs up and down
Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
Exactly and I've moved them about but I can figure out which one to move more FWD than the other. Which one do you have moved more fwd? My stock leaves had them set at an equal angle.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Exactly and I've moved them about but I can figure out which one to move more FWD than the other. Which one do you have moved more fwd? My stock leaves had them set at an equal angle.
I'm not following you , I was just wondering if one was stiff and not returning to a "neutral" postion
Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
No they are both returning to neutral. Which is why I'm lost too
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to tell ya, but it's Dis-n-Ass time ha
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Take it apart again and compare the packs side by side.
Confirm the locating pin wasn't improperly drilled.

The change in height in the rear will impact caster, but not seriously.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
They measured the exact same. I only lost about a 1/2 inch of lift in the rear. I don't think that would fuck with the caster as much as I'm feeling.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
No, what you're feeling is the result of the axle not tracking straight.
Caster is the tendency of the front wheels to want to return to center... like a shopping cart caster is always (hopefully) in the right direction even without a steering wheel.

No.. 1/2" gain or loss, you wouldn't feel that in the alignment.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Exactly so why is the damn axle not tracking straight?! I understand caster and thanks for the imput