Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Suspension Help: Think I'm Limiting Up-Travel

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Suspension Help: Think I'm Limiting Up-Travel

So I installed my lift the other day, suspension from a Baja + Icon Rear AAL and Firestong Ride Rite Airbags.

I took the truck to dirt yesterday and it was great for the most part. However, on the bigger hits, the front would absorb nicely and the back would absorb and then seemingly hit sharply. I think I'm limiting the up-travel of the suspension. The airbags were installed with a 2in spacer, the icon aal say 1.5in lift.

Should I trim the spacer 1/2 - 1in? Here are some photo's, I don't want to cut the spacer to short and rip a bag at full droop. Firestone did say their bag would hold the wheel as long as it wasn't a sudden/forceful drop of the wheel (like a jump).

Here is the bag w/ 5psi, no load, truck on level ground.

Here are some "flex" pics.

Any thoughts here on what I should do?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Anyone?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Why limit up travel when you could just have gotten a bigger lift kit
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
I'm not trying to limit the up-travel on purpose.

Anyone with experience with the bags, can you tell if or how much more stretch they have? I'm thinking of cutting the spacer in half, that would gain and inch of up travel, but if there is no more stretch in the bag it will reduce the down travek by an inch as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it looks like your airbags are limiting your travel. Just like with shocks, you need to look at the compressed and extended lengths of your bags. If they are limiting your travel, but you still want to use them, you can move them towards the center of your axle. That way they'd still provide load support over the road, but wouldn't limit your flex.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Yeah, it looks like your airbags are limiting your travel. Just like with shocks, you need to look at the compressed and extended lengths of your bags. If they are limiting your travel, but you still want to use them, you can move them towards the center of your axle. That way they'd still provide load support over the road, but wouldn't limit your flex.
That sounds like a good idea!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
That sounds like a good idea!

Not sure how much desert wheeling you do or jumping. But it won't matter where they are located if both rear wheels off the ground. The bags only extend so far and can compress so far.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
I have zero plans to jump the truck, not intentionally anyway lol. I would eventually like to do some higher speed running but nothing crazy. Just looking to get the truck to do a little bit of everything well (desert, crawl, tow, street).

Not sure how I would move the bags inboard as the brackets are specifically made for the leafs.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post
I have zero plans to jump the truck, not intentionally anyway lol. I would eventually like to do some higher speed running but nothing crazy. Just looking to get the truck to do a little bit of everything well (desert, crawl, tow, street).

Not sure how I would move the bags inboard as the brackets are specifically made for the leafs.

You would have to make custom mounts. At that point you should just run longer air bags. Firestone makes some for big rigs that have 15" of travel. You can run them inside the frame on custom mounts and cycle all the rear travel you want.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Any pictures of a similar setup?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
There is a guy on here that has done something very similar. I'll look around again. Try searching long travel air bags though. I think that is how I initially found it.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-air-bags.html

There is the link to the other guy who did it.