1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dakar Leaf Pack vs Firestone Air Bags

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by phatso, May 27, 2013.

1. May 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    phatso

phatso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    I've searched for and read a lot of material on each of these, but I've had a hard time finding anything that compares both. I have an '08 TRD OR DCSB with an OME 3" lift with the aal. I tow a boat often during the summer months...with that and the camping gear I have quite a bit of sag. I have been debating whether to get the Firestone Ride Rites or a Dakar Leaf Pack.

What are the pros and cons to each? Will the Dakars eliminate sagging?

Currently I do not do any real off-roading, but I would like to in the future. If it matters I'm running 265/75/16 Duratracs.

Thanks in advance.

2. May 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    Kahunabert1

Kahunabert1 Kahunaman

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4x4
    King coil overs, piaa, K\N filter
    I run air bags because I have heavy lumber rack and toolbox for the last ten years and they work fine and you can always air them down for softer ride. I don't know about the leaf springs.

3. May 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    The Dakars can handle a surprising amount of weight without sagging, would be a major upgrade over your existing and obviously match well with your OMEs. They would perform much better offroad than the air bags. I've loaded 1500lbs of pavers in the back and was shocked how little sagging I saw. Having said that, they are more of a wear item than the Firestones.

I would personally get the Dakars since I'm guessing your rear suspension can probably use a freshening up.

4. May 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Check out timbrens... less "parts" to need to go wrong. I am currently running a 2"aal with the time's, an have the OME leaf pack on order as the aal is starting to sag after 3 years.

5. May 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dakars

6. May 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    I was just there, asking that same question. I bought the firestones, they work amazing for my needs and I dont regret it. They ride awesome no sag and a bit of lift at 30 psi empty, most that I have had to put in is 40 and I was still above stock height in the rear. Daystar makes an airbag saddle that the bottom of the air bag rests in, that will be my next buy.

7. May 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    This.

8. May 31, 2013 at 6:06 AM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    Do we have a fix for the squeaking Dakars?

9. May 31, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Got up bright and early to look for info on this same topic, I tip my coffee to you OP.

My initial impressions are that the Dakars are a suspension upgrade that has a bunch of benefits including helping with towing; where the Air-bags are a solution exclusively for towing..

10. May 31, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I have a pic somewhere to show you. Let me see if I can find it..

edit: can't find the pic. I had the truck loaded with 2 160 qt coolers fully loaded, gear for 5 guys for the weekend, 5 guys in the truck, and a ranger bass boat hitched up and the truck was sitting level and road like a dream. you can't beat the Dakars.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  11. Jun 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    phatso

phatso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    I've been hella busy the last few days, but I appreciate the replies.

I've been leaning towards the Dakars since I first started looking into this and I think I'm still leaning that way. I guess I was wondering if someone would make an overwhelming case for the air bags. I see the benefits of both, but I think the Dakars fit my needs more-so than the airbags.

Do the Dakars really have a squeaking problem? That would be a huge problem for me. That could sway my decision. Is the squeak something that goes away with time, like the squeak from my aal?

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough

I've had my Dakars for a few months now and they've been squeak free. I soaked them in PB Blaster(as discribed by someone on here) before install, seems to have done the trick. Time will tell. One thing to consider is vibrations though. I'm fighting a take off shudder since install and may end up with a custom double cardon drive shaft to solve this...

Refer to: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/244535-drive-shaft-vibrations-solved-step-step.html

I've towed 2000lbs with loaded truck bed about 800 miles and the Dakars may have dropped and inch or so. Note:I have the Dakar's w/D29xl

13. Mar 4, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    scottfarm

scottfarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4X4
    aires 3D mats, scan gauge II, rear differential breather relocation, and bakflip G2 bed cover.
    I have airbags and could not do without them. You can keep your truck at your stock height no matter how much weight you have in the back. I tow a 5000 trailer with 650 lbs of tongue weight and and load the bed with a ton more weight. Try that with the Dakars. All I have to do is adjust the air to get to stock height. When I don't need it air down and ride on the stock smooth suspension. If you have the taco lean put a little more air in one side than the other. I use a small bicycle pump. $250 for air bags or $500 for Dakars. No squeaking. No Brainer.

Products Discussed in

To Top