Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Dakar Leaf Pack vs Firestone Air Bags

Old 05-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
phatso is on a distinguished road
phatso's Tacoma Gallery
Dakar Leaf Pack vs Firestone Air Bags

I've searched for and read a lot of material on each of these, but I've had a hard time finding anything that compares both. I have an '08 TRD OR DCSB with an OME 3" lift with the aal. I tow a boat often during the summer months...with that and the camping gear I have quite a bit of sag. I have been debating whether to get the Firestone Ride Rites or a Dakar Leaf Pack.

What are the pros and cons to each? Will the Dakars eliminate sagging?

Currently I do not do any real off-roading, but I would like to in the future. If it matters I'm running 265/75/16 Duratracs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Kahunaman
Kahunabert1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bert
Kahunabert1's Tacoma Gallery
I run air bags because I have heavy lumber rack and toolbox for the last ten years and they work fine and you can always air them down for softer ride. I don't know about the leaf springs.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
The Dakars can handle a surprising amount of weight without sagging, would be a major upgrade over your existing and obviously match well with your OMEs. They would perform much better offroad than the air bags. I've loaded 1500lbs of pavers in the back and was shocked how little sagging I saw. Having said that, they are more of a wear item than the Firestones.

I would personally get the Dakars since I'm guessing your rear suspension can probably use a freshening up.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Check out timbrens... less "parts" to need to go wrong. I am currently running a 2"aal with the time's, an have the OME leaf pack on order as the aal is starting to sag after 3 years.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
I was just there, asking that same question. I bought the firestones, they work amazing for my needs and I dont regret it. They ride awesome no sag and a bit of lift at 30 psi empty, most that I have had to put in is 40 and I was still above stock height in the rear. Daystar makes an airbag saddle that the bottom of the air bag rests in, that will be my next buy.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Do we have a fix for the squeaking Dakars?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Got up bright and early to look for info on this same topic, I tip my coffee to you OP.

My initial impressions are that the Dakars are a suspension upgrade that has a bunch of benefits including helping with towing; where the Air-bags are a solution exclusively for towing..
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I have a pic somewhere to show you. Let me see if I can find it..

edit: can't find the pic. I had the truck loaded with 2 160 qt coolers fully loaded, gear for 5 guys for the weekend, 5 guys in the truck, and a ranger bass boat hitched up and the truck was sitting level and road like a dream. you can't beat the Dakars.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
phatso is on a distinguished road
phatso's Tacoma Gallery
I've been hella busy the last few days, but I appreciate the replies.

I've been leaning towards the Dakars since I first started looking into this and I think I'm still leaning that way. I guess I was wondering if someone would make an overwhelming case for the air bags. I see the benefits of both, but I think the Dakars fit my needs more-so than the airbags.

Do the Dakars really have a squeaking problem? That would be a huge problem for me. That could sway my decision. Is the squeak something that goes away with time, like the squeak from my aal?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatso View Post
I've been hella busy the last few days, but I appreciate the replies.

I've been leaning towards the Dakars since I first started looking into this and I think I'm still leaning that way. I guess I was wondering if someone would make an overwhelming case for the air bags. I see the benefits of both, but I think the Dakars fit my needs more-so than the airbags.

Do the Dakars really have a squeaking problem? That would be a huge problem for me. That could sway my decision. Is the squeak something that goes away with time, like the squeak from my aal?

I've had my Dakars for a few months now and they've been squeak free. I soaked them in PB Blaster(as discribed by someone on here) before install, seems to have done the trick. Time will tell. One thing to consider is vibrations though. I'm fighting a take off shudder since install and may end up with a custom double cardon drive shaft to solve this...

Refer to: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...step-step.html

I've towed 2000lbs with loaded truck bed about 800 miles and the Dakars may have dropped and inch or so. Note:I have the Dakar's w/D29xl