LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

70% Hwy, 20% street, 10% Rock Climbing - Digressive or Progressive

Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
70% Hwy, 20% street, 10% Rock Climbing - Digressive or Progressive

What will suit me better? Digressive or progressive shocks if I do a lot of highway, a bit of city and a smaller bit of rock climbing.

I was going to get the Icons but they charge extra for 700lb springs so I was then thinking Kings...please help.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I think digressive is the way to go but need a good bump stop if you hit them often. They slam them hard due to nature of the valving.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Will I be hitting them at high or low speeds?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Progressive is probably better in all the instances you list.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, can you explain to me a bit please? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJDub View Post
Chris, can you explain to me a bit please? Thanks.
A progressive is going to be softer on the smaller pumps, and stiffen up on the faster, larger bumps, whereas a digressive is opposite. A progressive suspension gives a softer street ride, but protects from falling off ledges, or rocks by stiffening up the last half (or so) of the travel.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
And when I'm driving on the FWY, is it going to be too stiff?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Someone chime in?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And when I'm driving on the FWY, is it going to be too stiff?
Nope, street driving will be near stock for both pro and digressive valving, digressive valving will be softer if you hit a speed bump at speed, progressive will be softer slower.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Last question: For rock crawling, would having a digressive shock be a disadvantage?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Last question: For rock crawling, would having a digressive shock be a disadvantage?
numbers of posts in the past three years say yes. although it seems like ICON is currently working on changing that perception.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
The disadvantage would be that the ride is harsher as you crawl over the rocks?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #14

i think it won't flex as easy on smaller slower rocks. the flip side is if you're crawling and hit a big rock it will flex better then progressive.

Even if you're driving at a slow pace you can achieve fast shaft speed on the shock by hitting a big rock and it will absorb it better then progressive.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
What about not wanting to slow down for speed bumps