Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME Lift or Bilstein Coilover Kit

Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
toyotajhui is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
toyotajhui's Tacoma Gallery
OME Lift or Bilstein Coilover Kit

I know there are a lot of topics discussing suspension kits, but I couldn't find any that compare the OME kit vs. the Bilstein Coilover kit Toytec sells:

I would be getting the 1.5" AAL for the rear.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58849&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Looks like the main differences I see are adjustability for the coilover kit. Anyone have any input on off road performance or on road performance of each kit compared to stock? I know most threads have said the OME kit is awesome for off road and drives better on road than stock, but how does the Bilstein coil over kit compare?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I tried asking the same question a couple weeks ago, not much response. From everything I'm reading, unless you want to really stiffen your ride up you don't want to use the adjustable capabilities of the Bilsteins. It just pre-loads the springs and makes them really stiff. If/when I order my lift I'm going with the OME kit with the Dakar full leaf pack for the rear.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Elk Lodge is on a distinguished road
Elk Lodge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
I tried asking the same question a couple weeks ago, not much response. From everything I'm reading, unless you want to really stiffen your ride up you don't want to use the adjustable capabilities of the Bilsteins. It just pre-loads the springs and makes them really stiff. If/when I order my lift I'm going with the OME kit with the Dakar full leaf pack for the rear.
I am in the same thought process right now. It makes more sense to me now to go with the OME kit because you avoid preloading the springs. Are there multiple OME kits available, or just one standard kit? (2nd gen)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
ABickel17 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
ABickel17's Tacoma Gallery
I have the bilstein kit, but instead of the AAL i am getting a 3 leaf progressive AAL. I have my Bilsteins on the bottom notch just as a precaution, i didn't to go close to my UCA's limits. I love them, they handle much better and feel much better going over bumps.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotajhui View Post
I know there are a lot of topics discussing suspension kits, but I couldn't find any that compare the OME kit vs. the Bilstein Coilover kit Toytec sells:

I would be getting the 1.5" AAL for the rear.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=58849&category_id=113&option=com_ virtuemart&Itemid=72

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Looks like the main differences I see are adjustability for the coilover kit. Anyone have any input on off road performance or on road performance of each kit compared to stock? I know most threads have said the OME kit is awesome for off road and drives better on road than stock, but how does the Bilstein coil over kit compare?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
There are at least 5 similar threads, scroll to the bottom of the page and click one of them links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
You'll be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Lodge View Post
I am in the same thought process right now. It makes more sense to me now to go with the OME kit because you avoid preloading the springs. Are there multiple OME kits available, or just one standard kit? (2nd gen)
Depends on what you drive (RC, AC or DC) also depends on how much lift you want and if you are going to add weight like a plate bumper, winch, skids, etc.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
There are alot of threads on this exact topic.

My.02, get the toytec ULK or go Icon if you have the budget. I have had OME and now have the ULK and there is a HUGE difference. OME is just too firm and I only had the 885 coils.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Lodge View Post
If you order the full kit that comes with the Dakar (CS047R) leafs then the only option you get to choose is the front spring rate. For 2nd gens you can select 884 coils (recommended for single cab), 885 coils (Access Cab or Souble Cab) and 886 (double cabs with extra weight like plate bumpers, winches and skids).

I went with the OME kit and love it.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
assaultrecon28 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
assaultrecon28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
There are alot of threads on this exact topic.

My.02, get the toytec ULK or go Icon if you have the budget. I have had OME and now have the ULK and there is a HUGE difference. OME is just too firm and I only had the 885 coils.
Can someone elaborate on this? It seems like most people say the OME is smoother because the shocks aren't preloaded?